Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Rainier
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam B&R and Veeam M365

Post by Rainier »

We currently have Veeam Backup & Replication running on a virtual server. As its not recommended to install Veeam Backup for M365 on the same device I have it installed on my computer. I'm finding it slower on my computer and would prefer not to be installed on a computer. Is there another suggestion as to where to install Veeam M365, preferably not on another licensed server only for backup? If I kept it on my computer, could I have it use the same Backup Proxy that is installed on the B&R server?
Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Rainier
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam B&R and Veeam M365

Post by Mildur »

Hi Rainer

We don't recommend to share the same server for Veeam Backup & Replication and Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365.
But it's supported. Just consider the compatibility for the explorer. Explorer is a shared component:
https://www.veeam.com/kb4325

I don't recommend using the proxy server. The proxy Server may require a lot of Memory to protect the virtual machines. And Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 requires even more RAM. Sharing that machine will let both products compete against each other in the resource usage. And Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 will take the entire RAM it can find for it's jet databases.

What backup storage are you using for Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 as a backup target?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Rainier
Novice

Post by Rainier »

Hi Fabian,

Currently we are using an 8TB USB drive attached to my computer. Both B&R and M365 backup jobs take about 2.5 - 3 TB each so only totaling below 6TB. It's working fine for B&R but M365 backup appears very slow. I suspect this is due to the backup proxy for B&R is on the server where B&R is installed while M365 backup and its backup proxy is installed on my computer. I was hoping I could put the M365 backup proxy somewhere else but didn't want to spin up another server VM just for this purpose. We also have used up our 10 servers licenses so none left for another server VM.

I also have a small 3TB NAS I was thinking of using for M365 storage but I believe it can't host a backup proxy.

Any suggestions on best way to go forward would be appreciated!

Regards,
Rainier
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Rainier

No, you won't be able to install the proxy server on your NAS device.
From a technical perspective, a dedicated VM for Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 (VB365) is the recommended way.
You can install VB365 on the Veeam Backup & Replication proxy. In case you see performance issues with your VB365 backup jobs, our support team will ask you to deploy a dedicated server.
Currently we are using an 8TB USB drive attached to my computer.
I suggest to consider also another backup target. You may have a look at object storage, which will provide better compression to store VB365 backups compared to block storage. And it requires less hardware resources on your end.
That way, VB365 wouldn't compete for Memory with VBR.

Best,
Fabian
Rainier
Novice

Post by Rainier »

Hi Fabian,

Thanks for your advise.

Regards,
Rainier
dbaages
Influencer
Full Name: Damian

[MERGED] Multirole Proxy

Post by dbaages »

Hi, we´re already usnug veeam B&R with multiple proxies.
Is it possible to use some existing proxies for M365 too or is "multirole proxy" a no go?

Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hello Damian

Yes, but not recommended. Please see our previous discussion in this topic.

Best,
Fabian