Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
antonio73
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: antonio

Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 Repositories

Post by antonio73 »

Hi everyone, I'm new to the world of Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365, I wanted to ask for advice on how to create a backup repositories locally on an immutable Linux platform, like how to do with the Veeam Backup & Replication version, I decided to write because I saw that unfortunately there is only the possibility of being able to create repositories on external cloud platforms, type amazon, and others, I was wondering to create the repositories on the same unit where the server installation of Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 resides is safe?, thank you all those who want to give me advice about it.

:(
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 619 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Re: Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 Repositories

Post by jorgedlcruz » 1 person likes this post

Hello Antonio,
There is not such possibility at the moment for VB365.

You can create a backup job to either Object Storage, SMB or Windows drives. I object storage for backup, then you can do backup copy to an object storage with Immutability, this is the only supported way at the moment.

You have a small workaround if all onprem: you create a backup of VB365 to onprem windows, and then with VBR you do a backup of the VB365 server and repos in case, to your Linux immutable. It is more hassle, but I saw a few Customers doing it succesfully.

Thank you
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
antonio73
Novice

Post by antonio73 »

In thanking you for the kind answer, a great idea, I had not thought about it, actually I could make the VBR a backup of the whole drive c: where the folder with vb365 backups is included, on my immutable linux server, also I wanted to ask for another little advice, I made a subscription to Wasabi cloud for a free trial period, To understand how it works since it is much cheaper than the giants AWS and Google, I did the configuration of wasabi in VB365, but when I go to configure the job of my organization, I do not select the object storage of wasabi but only the local one, would you give me another help?? Thank you very much
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Antonio,

When creating the job, you should select the specific repository that is connected to wasabi.

It is actually a two-step process:
1. Create the Object Storage: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=70
2. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=70
and specifically this part: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=70
Kazz
Expert
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Kazz Beck

Post by Kazz » 1 person likes this post

Antonio,

If you made your wasabi object storage repository immutable, you would not be able to select it as a destination for a backup job, it would only be available for a backup copy job.
Kazz
Expert
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Kazz Beck

Post by Kazz »

@jorgedlcruz

Is backing up directly to immutable object storage repo on the road map for Veeam MS 365?

I also have a question on the same topic. Can I use the same Wasabi bucket for both immutable and non immutable repo?
Wondering if back up copy operation is gona be a problem since I am doing data copy data one folder to another in the same bucket.

Thanks
antonio73
Novice

Post by antonio73 »

In thanking you for the kind support, I managed with your valuable advice to configure a wasabi repositories, I wanted to bring to your attention a problem that happens to me once I start the job, in practice I manually selected all the mailboxes of the organization I want to backup, after a few minutes since there are many emails in the various boxes, I see in the status of the operations of some boxes the following wording: Processing mailbox pippo.pluto@topolino.com failed with error: Timeout of the operation. Thanks for any advice on this
sol1au
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sol One

Post by sol1au » 1 person likes this post

Hi Antonio, I believe the convention is that the purpose of forums.veeam.com is to discuss VEEAM functionality with VEEAM R&D staff. My understanding is that for technical support you should go to community.veeam.com.