Agentless, cloud-native backup for Microsoft Azure
Falcondor
Lurker
Liked: never

Request for Simple Guide

Post by Falcondor »

Hello - I am non-technical user assigned by my company to try and recover data.

I have Azure admin rights. A former employee installed Veeam in the past. I don’t know where. It’s not running any more. But the data is apparently stored somewhere. Is there a simple way for me to get this data?

All guides I see refer to finding the virtual machine where Veeam is running and visiting that URL. I don't have this information.

Thank you.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2902 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Request for Simple Guide

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Foreword: I would try to ask the former employee where he stored what. Searching backups "in the cloud" might be complicated.

Just to be sure: we talk about the "Veeam Backup for Azure" product? Or is it about "Veeam Backup & Replication" and the former employee just stored backups in Azure Blob storage?
All guides I see refer to finding the virtual machine where Veeam is running and visiting that URL. I don't have this information.
that's correct for Veeam Backup for Azure. If he really did backups (and not only snapshots or deleted them), then the data is stored Azure Blob storage. In the storage container(s), there are paths / folder names named with "Veeam" and "backup"

To restore from that data, you need the product and open the backups.

Question: do you see any VMs in your Azure account? If yes, one of them might be Veeam Backup for Azure, which you can access via web interface (depending on which firewall rules are configured in Azure)

Best regards,
Hannes
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1187 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

You can search for tags matching “veeam” if he only did snapshots to find something.

If the data is on Blob, I recommend going over all the containers as Hannes said.

You can use the history manager maybe to find out if he did deploy Veeam Backup for Azure as explained in the Microsoft documentation.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Falcondor
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by Falcondor »

Thank you HannesK and nielsengelen. I will review what you have written. I very much appreciate you taking the time to give me this advice.