Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
fgiugliano
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Frank Giugliano

Backing up the repository

Post by fgiugliano »

Currently I have Veeam for O365 installed on our Veeam B&R server.
Is it safe to also install Veeam Endpoint on the B&R server to back up the O365 repository?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backing up the repository

Post by foggy »

Hi Frank, yes, I believe this is possible. Is your Veeam B&R physical?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Frank,

I believe this is indeed not a problem but our best practices would be to install O365 on a VM and use B&R to backup that VM. The reason is that we have built-in logic that detects that the VM is an O365 server and automatically fires up the Exchange explorer if you want to do ILR from that specific VM. We even have a specific role in SureBackup job to test / verify an O365 server.

Mike
fgiugliano
Novice

Post by fgiugliano »

That's a pretty interesting thought...
I might revisit that for sure.
Now with that being said, what would the best process to move my repository to a new vm when I get to that point?
Obviously copy over the repo to a new machine, will it automatically recognize my organization, or does that need to be all set up again, mailboxes selected etc...
Will it then automatically know what was already downloaded?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Frank,

I'm not sure at this point in time. I will get information about it. One of the things is that there is a machine key inside the repository database and I am not certain how to migrate that. I'll come back to you once I have more information
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Frank,

I verified with the development team and tried it out yesterday. This is the procedure I followed to move the services to another server (with another name)

1. Installed a clean server (NOTE: the server version needs to be the same or higher in order to work) and then installed VBO on it. DO NOT OPEN THE UI YET
2. Stopped the VBO service on the original server (mine was not dead but still running so...)
3. Stopped the VBO service on the new server
4. Copied the following files from old VBO to new VBO server: everything under c:\programdata\veeam\backup365 (this contains log files / config and JET DB for VBO service)
5. Copied everything from original repository to repository location on new server
6. Started services on new server
7. Started the UI
8. Received notification "License is not installed. Do you want to install it now", so installed license onto new server
9. Edited organization because you need to retype your password (since the password on the original VBO server is protected with a machine key, the new server cannot read that because of security reasons)
10. Ran a backup
11. Tested restores

Looks like a long procedure but it only took a few minutes in total (well, besides installing the server :-))

Hope it helps

Mike
fgiugliano
Novice

Post by fgiugliano »

Awesome!
Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for.
vishalgupta
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Vishal Gupta

Post by vishalgupta »

Can we consolidate the multiple proxies into one or on the VBO server along with their respective repositories after the first full backup?

If I run the first full backup with 3-4 proxies and once the first full backup is completed, could I remove the proxies and move their Repos to the VBO server for the incremental backups? would it work? Would the restores work?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Vishal,

I can't understand why you would want to do that. The entire idea of the proxies is to take the load away from the VBO server. No matter if it is a full backup or an incremental backup. Theoretically this might even work, but you will overload your VBO server after that. The architecture with proxies is created to scale-out.