Backups Retention Period

Maintain control of your Microsoft Office 365 email data

Re: Backups Retention Period

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:59 am

Bryan,

Seven days is really low. Are you planning to keep the data for longer through backing up the VM or is this the only requirement for your emails?
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 316 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby bryanmeche » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:49 pm

Hey Mike,

It's the only requirement for our emails. We consider email transitory and we don't consider emails to be records so have pretty tight email retention policies in that all emails should be purged unless end users save them as records. We use Exchange itself to recover accidentally deleted items, but once an email not tagged as a record reaches 90 days we want it permanently removed and don't want it to exist on Exchange or in backups.

We just want to use Veeam O365 in case Microsoft decides to have a catastrophic failure with a mailbox or several mailboxes and can't recover emails at all. We don't want to use it to recover accidentally deleted items or retain items.
bryanmeche
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Bryan

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:21 am

Bryan,

Would it be OK for you if we can provide retention with a monthly timeframe? So in your case 1 month. I know it is more than 7 days but there are certain things to keep in mind for the backend ;-)

Let me know, so I can talk to our DEV's about this

Thanks
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...

Veeam Logoby bryanmeche » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:23 pm

One month would be a lot better than one year for our needs, for sure.

However if possible though I think it'd be great to allow admins to define retention by days, similar to how Exchange does it with retention tags. If you wanted Exchange to retain items in a folder for five years, you set it to 1825 days. It really would give customers a level of granularity to fine-tune if needed while allowing customers to retain for periods like they do today who don't need that level of fine-tuning. Perhaps keep the same values in a drop down box with an other option and the ability to enter retention in days manually. Anything you can do is appreciated!
bryanmeche
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Bryan

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:03 am

Bryan,

I will discuss with our engineers to see what we can do on a short notice. No promises though

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby masonit » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:35 pm

Wow took me awhile to catch this, How retention works in VBO. Didn't really expect this... So you are saying that retention only works after create date of the mails and not from when mails was deleted? I guess set retention to "Keep forever" would mimic how retention work in VBR. All active data will always remain in backupdata..

But for example if I would have retention to "Keep forever" and a user would permanently delete a mail. After 14 days that mail would be removed from Recoverable Items in Exchange online. What would happen to that mail in VBO? For how long would I be able to retreive it?

\Masonit
masonit
Service Provider

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Magnus Andersson

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:20 am

Magnus,

In your example, that email will be kept forever as that is your retention range. Well, not in the mailbox of the user obviously but in your VBO backups
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365