Can this backup Hybrid mailboxes?

Maintain control of your Microsoft Office 365 email data

Can this backup Hybrid mailboxes?

Veeam Logoby cerberus » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:53 pm

We have Exchange 2013 on-premise and are integrated with Exchange Online (hybrid).

We have mailboxes that are full on-premise for which we use BR9; then we have mailboxes who have their primary mailbox on-premise and archive mailbox offloaded to the cloud; and lastly we have a few users that are fully could (primary + archvie mailbox).

Will this product be able to backup hybrid mailboxes, where the primary is on-premise (being backed up locally by BR9) and archive mailbox is on the cloud? We are in a dire need for something like this.

These "hybrid" mailboxes only have a Exchange Online Archiving license; since they are not fully cloud mailboxes they don't actually show up in Exchange Online Administrative interface as a mailbox; administrated via PowerShell only.

Thanks.
cerberus
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: MD

Re: Can this backup Hybrid mailboxes?

Veeam Logoby cerberus » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:30 pm

I can't seem to edit my original post, so I will add to more details on this issue/request below.

What we have as part of Microsoft's eCAL suite access to EOA (Exchange Online Protection) licenses; this allows us to enable archiving for our on-premise mailboxes and offload the archive mailboxes into the cloud. We have leveraged this for some of our very large mailboxes. This works great, we can offload our growing exchange environment into the cloud; but one risk is being able to "backup" the archive-only cloud mailboxes; it seems to be nearly impossible to backup or manage.

I was able to get Veeam's O365 s/w to connect to our O365 tenant and start backing up mailboxes that are fully in the cloud, meaning the primary and archive mailbox; they both get picked up but NOT the archive only mailboxes; they do not appear within the Veeam O365 UI just as they don't appear when we visit the O365 Admin Centers > Exchange > Recipients > Mailboxes.

But those mailboxes are indeed there, if we connect to O365 via PowerShell, we can see them using..

Get-MailUser | Where-Object {$_.ArchiveStatus -match "Active"} | Select DisplayName,ArchiveName,ArchiveStatus,ArchiveDatabase

DisplayName ArchiveName ArchiveStatus ArchiveDatabase
----------- ----------- ------------- ---------------
XXX {Online Archive - XXX} Active NAMPR02DG137-db021
XXX {Online Archive - XXX} Active NAMPR02DG065-db005
XXX {Online Archive - XXX} Active NAMPR02DG054-db036
XXX {Online Archive - XXX} Active NAMPR02DG143-db037

But they are not treated like normal mailboxes in O365; you cannot use "Get-Mailbox" since these mailboxes are classified as MailUser instead of Mailbox.

Is there any plans to support backing up these types of scenarios? I found this link https://vanhybrid.com/2013/10/18/exchange-online-archiving-eoa-a-view-from-the-trenches-part-1/that will explain this "exchange" setup much better than i can in this post.

It would be great if we could leverage this new product to backup these types of mailboxes.
cerberus
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: MD

Re: Can this backup Hybrid mailboxes?

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:55 am

Hi,

As you stated yourself, this not possible today. Our R&D team informed me that they will look into this and if it is easy to get them enabled, it might still become available in v1. If not, then this is definitively on our radar for the next version!

Thanks for all the help
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 354 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Return to Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365