Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
cerberus
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Mirza

Can we install Veeam O365 on server that has BR9?

Post by cerberus »

Hello,

We have a license for Microsoft Office 365 backup offering from Veeam.

We already use Veeam BR9 and Veeam ONE; both are installed on a single dedicated box. Can we install the O365 application on the same server where we have BR9/ONE or will there be conflicts?

Is this supported?

Thanks.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Can we install Veeam O365 on server that has BR9?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,
Yes. There will be conflicts. The Veeam explorer for Exchange needs to be a higher version then the one that comes with v9. So in this case I would advise to install it on a dedicated VM. Or upgrade B&R to 9.5 :-).

But even then, install it on a dedicated VM. Advantage is that you will be able to backup that VM with B&R for additional protection
cerberus
Expert

Post by cerberus »

I am trying to avoid having it installed in a VM that would backup to our SAN; instead we have a dedicated backup server with local storage so it would be better if we can install on same server where Veeam BR9/ONE is installed and backup directly to local storage vs. SAN. I guess I could spin up a VM and map the dedicated backup server local storage to backup to but then this would add network traffic. I guess I could also spin up a small VM within my dedicated backup server just for Veeam O365 but that adds a lot of extra overhead.

If we update to BR9.5; if I upgrade to latest BR 9.x then I can install O365 on the same server alongside BR/ONE? Is this supported?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Yes,

It is supported. But it will put a rather heavy additional load on your B&R server. Don't forget that O365 is running a DB in the backend to store the mails and is not a repository as you know it with B&R. So it will require quite some resources (depending on your size of O365 organization of course) on that server
cerberus
Expert

Post by cerberus »

Thanks for confirming, we have about 7 users in the O365 cloud (pilot program, testing) and I wanted to make sure we're also backing them up. This is a rather small number of users so I am not too worried about the overhead it will add at this time.

Now I need to upgrade BR9 to BR9.5 so we can install O365 components on the same box :)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

I'm always a fan of upgrading to the latest version ;-)

Let us know how everything went

Thanks