Can we install Veeam O365 on server that has BR9?

Maintain control of your Microsoft Office 365 email data

Can we install Veeam O365 on server that has BR9?

Veeam Logoby cerberus » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:00 pm

Hello,

We have a license for Microsoft Office 365 backup offering from Veeam.

We already use Veeam BR9 and Veeam ONE; both are installed on a single dedicated box. Can we install the O365 application on the same server where we have BR9/ONE or will there be conflicts?

Is this supported?

Thanks.
cerberus
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: MD

Re: Can we install Veeam O365 on server that has BR9?

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:07 pm

Hi,
Yes. There will be conflicts. The Veeam explorer for Exchange needs to be a higher version then the one that comes with v9. So in this case I would advise to install it on a dedicated VM. Or upgrade B&R to 9.5 :-).

But even then, install it on a dedicated VM. Advantage is that you will be able to backup that VM with B&R for additional protection
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 390 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby cerberus » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:20 pm

I am trying to avoid having it installed in a VM that would backup to our SAN; instead we have a dedicated backup server with local storage so it would be better if we can install on same server where Veeam BR9/ONE is installed and backup directly to local storage vs. SAN. I guess I could spin up a VM and map the dedicated backup server local storage to backup to but then this would add network traffic. I guess I could also spin up a small VM within my dedicated backup server just for Veeam O365 but that adds a lot of extra overhead.

If we update to BR9.5; if I upgrade to latest BR 9.x then I can install O365 on the same server alongside BR/ONE? Is this supported?
cerberus
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:07 am

Yes,

It is supported. But it will put a rather heavy additional load on your B&R server. Don't forget that O365 is running a DB in the backend to store the mails and is not a repository as you know it with B&R. So it will require quite some resources (depending on your size of O365 organization of course) on that server
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...

Veeam Logoby cerberus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:16 pm

Thanks for confirming, we have about 7 users in the O365 cloud (pilot program, testing) and I wanted to make sure we're also backing them up. This is a rather small number of users so I am not too worried about the overhead it will add at this time.

Now I need to upgrade BR9 to BR9.5 so we can install O365 components on the same box :)
cerberus
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:33 pm

I'm always a fan of upgrading to the latest version ;-)

Let us know how everything went

Thanks
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Return to Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365