Compare Exchange builtin backup vs VB-MO365

Maintain control of your Microsoft Office 365 email data

Compare Exchange builtin backup vs VB-MO365

Veeam Logoby JLundgren » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:03 pm

Hello,

customer hesitates why to choose VB-MO365 instead of using builtin O365 protection.

I am sure that I can find the right arguments on this forum in bullet form - would someone please guide me ?

Thanks,
Johnny
JLundgren
Service Provider

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Johnny Lundgren

Re: Compare Exchange builtin backup vs VB-MO365

Veeam Logoby jmmarton » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:24 am

Built into O365 is the ability to restore deleted items < 30 days old. If you need to restore something older than that, you need a third-party solution. And while there is the retention feature that can be enabled within O365, it doesn't allow you to restore those items. In addition you may want to have complete control over retention which is something that Veeam Backup for Office 365 provides.

Joe
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Liked: 101 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:44 am

Johnny,

What build-in protection are you talking about? Is it the legal hold you are looking at?
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 384 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby JLundgren » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:29 pm

Hello Mike,

I am referring to In-Place Hold.

Regards,
Johnny
JLundgren
Service Provider

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Johnny Lundgren

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:56 am

Hi Johnny

In-Place hold is really not the same as a backup. The data itself is not in your possession but in the possession of Microsoft (not saying it is a bad thing but...) It means that MSFT still can have data loss (very unlikely but cloud providers have lost data before and it probably will happen again).

How much time is your in-place hold? What happens when they discover it 2 years after the fact (for example, when there is a lawsuit and you suddenly need the data).

How about 'restoring' the email to somewhere else (our explorer allows you to easily get it into .msg format, or .pst format for further processing).

Don't get me wrong. I believe in-place hold has a good reason to exist. But personally that is just another layer of defense for your data (legally, you are still responsible for the data, not MSFT) and VBO is another layer. Together you will make sure that you are much better secured against issues.

My 2 cents
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 384 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Return to Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365