Maintain control of your Microsoft Office 365 email data
NashBrydges
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Configure proxy fails

Post by NashBrydges » Feb 08, 2018 3:51 pm

I've just downloaded and installed the latest trial for Veeam For Office 365 and trying to setup a proxy server but the configuration fails. Every step before "configure" works perfectly. The actual error from the log reads:

Code: Select all

2/8/2018 10:43:57 AM   24 (1668) Error: Proxy connection to controller failed: The socket connection was aborted. This could be caused by an error processing your message or a receive timeout being exceeded by the remote host, or an underlying network resource issue. Local socket timeout was '00:00:09.9840000'.
2/8/2018 10:43:57 AM   24 (1668) Stack:
2/8/2018 10:43:57 AM   24 (1668) 
Server stack trace: 
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.HandleReply(ProxyOperationRuntime operation, ProxyRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   at Veeam.Archiver.Interfaces.IArchiverAdmin.GetInstallProxyResult(Guid taskId)
   at Veeam.Archiver.Client.ArchiverAdminConnection.GetInstallProxyResult(Guid taskId)
   at Veeam.Archiver.Shell.Dialogs.ProxyWizard.Tasks.ProxyAsyncTaskFactory.<CreateInstallProxyTaskFactory>b__9_1(Guid taskId)
   at Veeam.Archiver.Client.Tasks.RemoteTask`1.CheckTaskCompleted()
- Veeam Office 365 is installed on a MS Win Server 2012 R2 VM with latest updates/patches
- The proxy I'd like to add is a Win Server 2012 R2 backup file server with latest updates/patches (it is also being used for Veeam Backup & Replication successfully)
- The environment is a Workgroup environment (no domain)
- All ports have been enabled on both Veeam Office 365 management server VM as well as intended proxy server (9191, 9193, 9194, 80, 443, 587)
- Local network is a 10Gb network interconnect between servers (no signs of network issues in the past or recent history)

Not sure what to try next.

Mike Resseler
Veeam Software
Liked: 530 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Configure proxy fails

Post by Mike Resseler » Feb 08, 2018 4:00 pm

Hey NashBrydges,

This looks like a communication problem between the two (because of the timeout). I would suggest that you create a support call on this one and post the support case ID here + the follow-up after investigation with the engineers.

Thanks
Mike

NashBrydges
Enthusiast

Post by NashBrydges » Feb 08, 2018 4:15 pm

Case #02595984

Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Post by Mike Resseler » Feb 08, 2018 4:16 pm

Thanks!

Please keep us informed further about the progress and the outcome

Thanks
Mike

NashBrydges
Enthusiast

Post by NashBrydges » Feb 14, 2018 1:56 pm

So, after a few days of back and forth with support and various attempts at creating a Proxy, the final word is that creating a Proxy is NOT a supported function in a Workgroup environment. Only the default proxy created at install time can be used. We're a small company and have no need for AD/DC. This seems counterintuitive as this essentially excludes a very large number of small businesses. I'll be adding a feature request to include this capability in a future build.

Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Post by Mike Resseler » Feb 14, 2018 2:46 pm

Hey NashBrydges

Now I feel actually bad because I could have saved you the trouble. I should have read the original post better instead of focusing on the log. It is even in our guide that this is not a supported scenario: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=15

Sorry about that. I will also contact support to make sure that they are aware of this.
Consider the feature request noted. I cannot promise you it will make the next version, but we will investigate and depending on the importance add it to the solution

Again, sorry

Mike

jayscarff
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times

Post by jayscarff » Feb 19, 2018 7:43 pm

I've a similar setup, tying to point but the proxy i'm trying to add is actually my Cloud Connect repository server...also no domain. I guess i will need to install O365 on the repo directly to have access to the Tenant LUNS.
+1 for feature request,

Thanks
Jason
VMCE v9

Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Post by Mike Resseler » Feb 20, 2018 6:07 am

Request noted, but as said before, no promises :-)

PS: Please note that the repository is not the same as a VBR repository. So I would not advice to create the repository in the same directory.

Tarqy
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Barry Knox

Post by Tarqy » Sep 07, 2018 1:27 pm

I'd also like to see this change, We too have a physical Cloud Connect Repository server that is non-domain and would like to utilise it for access to tenant storage. (Different repository as mentioned above obviously)
VMCE