[QUESTION] Export to PST

Maintain control of your Microsoft Office 365 email data

[QUESTION] Export to PST

Veeam Logoby frankj » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:52 pm

Can this export the result backup set to a PST file ?

basically trying to mimic the Local Exchange Export to \\PATH functionallity with O365 without powershells
frankj
Service Provider

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: FRANK Jacques

Re: [QUESTION] Export to PST

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:15 pm 1 person likes this post

Hi Frank, you can do this after opening the backup in Veeam Explorer for Exchange.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1057 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby frankj » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:39 pm

True sorry i just realized that, it's a 2 step process but better then nothing.

ALSO maybe have a schedule option called One time only ?

I use this to export backups of terminated employees that leave the company, so i get a full pst backup and remove account . Doesnt make sense to backup daily then, but rather a one time deal.

Thanks for all this software , it saved my ass quite a few times.
frankj
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:41 pm

Something similar to VeeamZIP for a mailbox, right?
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1057 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:38 am

Frank,

To add to foggy's idea... You want (from our UI) the possibility to select a mailbox, and then choose export as PST (or similar?). A few additional questions:

* For compliance, the backup of the mailbox data should remain in the backup? (I would say yes but hearing your thoughts)
* When you disable an account of a terminated employee, what do you do in O365? Do you delete that account (stop the subscription) or do you do something else?
* If we would provide an "export as..." one-time option should it be the export of that last day (the current state of the mailbox) or do you want to export a history of x time retention? (Maybe for legal reasons)
* Anything else?

I certainly don't promise anything ;-), but I would like to hear the requirements that you have in your company, both technical / legal / business

Thanks

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 354 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby frankj » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:11 pm

* For compliance, the backup of the mailbox data should remain in the backup?
not necessary since we backup the pst to \\server\\archives\\%user%\\export.pst for eventual reimport / parse etc if needed,

* When you disable an account of ...
We backup -> clean of personal info (optional) then release o365 licence in pool -> remap email to another user ( his direct upstream manager usually)

* If we would provide an "export as..." one-time option should it be the export of that last day (the current state of the mailbox)
It would just take a snapshot at this current time for export ( meaning run the backup now kind of method(), and export right after to specified location.
frankj
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:53 am

Frank,

Thanks for the information. As said, not promising anything, but it is always interesting for us when discussing a feature that we know the business reason behind it (obvious here) but also how the "workflow" is within companies that have that request

Cheers
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 354 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Return to Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365