Feature Request - Backup of Office 365 Sharepoint

Maintain control of your Microsoft Office 365 email data

Re: Feature Request - Backup of Office 365 Sharepoint

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:50 am

I am afraid something like this would require us to rethink and change the product licensing completely. Otherwise, this just wouldn't work for us financially with the current licensing approach, where we're charging a mere $1 per user per month. I'm thinking even our support costs alone.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2740 times

Veeam Logoby -pekr- » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:32 pm

Gostev wrote:The requirement to license all organization's users was a mistake due to some miscommunication, this was never an intention. Licensing FAQ is being updated to reflect that you only need to license users who actually have access to SharePoint sites you're protecting.

Thanks Gostev, now it makes more sense. We will have 2 typical scenarios - sites, which serve as a storage to some IS.The protected storage capacity migh be 2-3 TB. Here, the number of users is going to be limited - this scenario works for us perfectly. Second scenario, is the intranet site, or a newsletter site, etc., where all users will have access. It will require very limited storage, but unfortunately, all users are going to have access there - here, the scenario does not work for us. I still think, that in regards to SP, the correct metrics is either the per site or per storage one. Will have to think about it more ...
-pekr-
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Petr Krenzelok

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:56 pm

@David in discussing this more internally, I think we just need to introduce some dedicated offering for the educational sector - the one that will consider your realities and still be profitable for Veeam. I asked the cross-functional VBO team to start these discussions. In the meantime, I think using the Community Edition is the best bet for you.

@Petr sound good, please do keep your thoughts coming! We prefer to keep the licensing simple (per-user), but are still open to suggestions how to make SharePoint licensing more fair in the edge cases. Most of our customers don't have this issue, because they are buying our product primarily to protect user mailboxes (and now OneDrive as well).
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2740 times

Veeam Logoby -pekr- » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:29 pm

Well, not much to add, Gostev :-) In my already expressed opinion, mailboxes and OneDrive, have different aspects, than SharePoint. Mailbox and OneDrive can be easily seen as a per-user (private) stuff. And even then, with something like OneDrive, I am not much worried here, as it could be considered being kind of a backup already. Now I know, that professionals don't want to hear that :-) But typical admin situation is to tell users to back-up to some company storage - but most users ignore that. So having OneDrive already kind of works as a backup. With the trashcan, you can cover even the eventual mistake when user deletes something. So - in our case, we were thinking mostly only to back-up OneDrive accounts of a management (top + middle), not the whole company workforce.

With the Sharepoint, we can see different aspects here. We have decided to not build an on-premises farm. But that means, that you have your data in one place only - in a cloud. It's kind an opposite to user based OneDrive. That's why we have expected per 1TB pricing, or per site one. If you add few new users to your site next week, will you have to adjust your licensing? That stuff can be quite danymic, as users will be added to internal sites on a per project etc. basis, some sites are going to be scrapped / archived, once project is finished, etc.

So, that's why, in my opinion, your recent SP licence pricing does not much the nature of the Sharepoint ...
-pekr-
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Petr Krenzelok

Veeam Logoby n0creativity » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:30 am

I just want to thank the Veeam team for listening and having some discussions with regard to some of the pain points. Despite my disappointment with the initial licensing choice, the willingness to have an open dialogue about these things has been a pleasant surprise. It really isn't something I see in the tech/software provider world these days and it really is appreciated.
n0creativity
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: David Anderson

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:03 am

David,

Thanks! Yes we do this as we believe this is the way to design our solutions. Not only on the licensing but also on the technical side. As of last week, we started up the discussions with several teams, and while there won't be a solution quickly (I hope you understand we need to investigate this with several parties now, to make sure we don't need to change again afterwards ;-)). But all teams agreed a solution must be found

Cheers
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 487 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365