feature request - iSCSI reconnect after interruption

Maintain control of your Microsoft Office 365 email data

feature request - iSCSI reconnect after interruption

Veeam Logoby mcz » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:17 am

Hi everybody,

we have a qnap nas which provides iSCSI. Our veeam server (Windows 10) connects to the nas and shows a dedicated drive F:\ which is being used within the backup console as a repository. From time to time when we restart the device, the connection will of course be interrupted but after the nas comes up again, windows will automatically do the reconnect. Somehow, veeam backup for office 365 won't try to reconnect and all the backup jobs are failing. I will then have to restart the veeam services to bring the jobs back to work.

It would be nice if veeam would do an automatic reconnect to the iSCSI device.

Please tell me what you think about it - thank you!
mcz
Expert

Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Michael

Re: feature request - iSCSI reconnect after interruption

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi Michael, seems that the period during which the device is down exceeds the default job retry periods. You can increase the default values, should help in your case.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1296 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:06 am

Michael,

As a follow-up: When you do that reconnect, will the jobs run AFTER the reconnect and fail? Or does this happen (the fails) when it is disconnected? What Foggy says is in the case of a backup running. But I think your case is a bit different? Or am I wrong?

Cheers
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 471 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby mcz » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:22 am

Thank you Foggy and Mike for your replies! By the way I would like to mention that this forum is really great fun because you get an answer very very quickly and you really feel that the user voice is being heard - thank you very much for this kind of treatment and please keep doing what you're doing!

Coming back to our original topic: When the iSCSI target isn't available during backup job (or job retry) it will of course fail but if the target gets available again, the next job should be working (because windows does the automatic reconnect and you can browse the directory again) but veeam would fail. As I said, only restarting the veeam services will solve the issue, otherwise every future job (including the retries) would fail.

So in our case we're having one backup job which runs every full hour and it has 3 retries with a delay of 10 minutes. If I'm restarting the nas and let's assume it will take 20 minutes until every service comes up again, at least the next job within the next hour should be successful but as I said, it won't.

Hope it is clear now, please let me know what you're thinking about it - thank you.
mcz
Expert

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:25 am

Very clear :-)

I will ask our R&D team to investigate this for the next version and see if we can solve this.

Thanks for letting us know!
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:02 am

Hi Michael,

First: My apologies for the late reply (We have been at our internal Sales Kickoff and I still owed you an answer :-( )

We have been trying to reproduce this but failed. In our tests, a reconnect happens automatically.

Could you please create a support call and ask the support engineer to escalate (You can reference this thread to the support engineer)? Then post the case ID to here so I can forward it to our QC department so that they are aware of this specific one.

Thanks
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby mcz » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:54 am

Hi Mike, meanwhile I've created a ticket: #02717675
mcz
Expert

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:00 am

Thanks for this. Let me know how it proceeds!
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby coreypenford » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:27 pm

I'll chime in here as well and say the same thing happens in our setup.
Synology NAS with Windows Server 2016 as the Veeam 365 server
We reboot the NAS every couple of weeks for firmware updates, and I've always noticed that Veeam 365 starts reporting issues accessing the repo (disk IO errors) when this happens. Even though as Michael said, the drive is reconnected by Windows automatically and accesssible.

I've just been rebooting the server completely so it's good to know it's just the Veeam service that has to be restarted.

Would love an update to be put into this thread when you have the chance
coreypenford
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby mcz » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:04 pm

Hi coreypenford,

currently I'm waiting for a remote session. QA departement is already involved and they'll take a look at our infrastructure. I'll let you know as soon as I have any news!
mcz
Expert

Veeam Logoby mcz » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:27 pm

Okay I just had a remote session with the support engineer and it turns out that the disk from the windows os disappears when the nas (iscsi target) is offline. This behaviour seems to be different when using windows servers as iscsi target. But the real issue is that the proxy service keeps the handles to the database open. When the iscsi disk is online again those handles would be invalid and this breaks the whole process.

The support now is asking the developer why those handles stay open because they are expected to be closed when the job has finished.
mcz
Expert

Veeam Logoby MartijnT » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:24 am

I think I had a similar problem and also would like this feature.
I created a case: 02733523
The error I got was: JetError -1022, JET_errDiskIO, Disk IO error
I thought the Database was actually damaged. I made sure the backup job was disabled when disconnecting the iSSCI drive but apparently the database was still "connected".
After restarting the Veeam services everything worked again.
MartijnT
Lurker

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:47 am

MartijnT,

First: Welcome to the forums! As mcz said, this has gone to the DEV teams for review. At this moment I can't give a status update on it yet but we are going to look into it. Unfortunately I need to tell you that at this moment it is "restart the service" as the option to get it running again.
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby mcz » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:34 am

I was just talking to my support engineer and the dev teams have found an issue which seems to cause our situation. The'll fix it and I will get another information how to apply the fix.

@MartijnT: I have mentioned that your case could also be included and my support engineer Alexander should have taken this case over to him. So I think you will also get the information when the fix is available.
mcz
Expert

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:12 am

Michael,

thanks for the update, I hope they indeed have found the issue but knowing them I would actually be surprised if they didn't :-)

Keep us indeed further informed

Thanks
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Next

Return to Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365