Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
tsanfilipp
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim S

Feature Request: Job scheduling

Post by tsanfilipp »

It would be nice to have certain jobs prioritized over others. We have some jobs that need to run every 15 minutes and all others run every 4 hours.

The way that Veeam O365 backup handles the scheduling means that all jobs run at the exact same time, which means that the 15 minute jobs get buried and miss several runs until the actually complete. I guess the only way around this is to create a second server for just the 15 minute jobs?
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Feature Request: Job scheduling

Post by Polina »

Hi Tim,

Can you elaborate a bit more on your specific configuration? How many proxies do you have in place? Do these jobs include both Exchange Online and SharePoint Online objects?
tsanfilipp
Enthusiast

Post by tsanfilipp »

Just one proxy at this time, since we only had the need for one because we only have less than 500 users. Also, only backing up exchange Online items.

Because of the current setup, we should only see this issue happen every 4 hours, but for that time that all jobs run at that time, we are seeing over 1 hour for some of the jobs to complete.

Is V3 any more efficient at Exchange Online backups? Will we see better efficiency by moving to this version when it is finally released?
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Tim,

I guess that you see the 1-hour duration for some of your 15-min jobs, right? Then I'd reconfigure jobs scheduling to allow for a sufficient job duration. Another way is to set up jobs termination if they exceed the allowed backup window.

An additional installation will only be helpful if you use a different service account there (note also that a second server will have to be licensed as well).

Anyway, this is a very good feature request and we'll see how the scheduling and processing can be optimized to meet your needs.

As for v3, it will bring faster SharePoint Online backups, but for Exchange, things will remain the same as in v2. Do you feel that current backup performance is not adequate?
tsanfilipp
Enthusiast

Post by tsanfilipp »

Up until this point, the software was more than adequate, since we were only running the jobs once and day, and staggered.
Moving to the 15 minute and 4 hour schedules, then I see how the single server is not as adequate. Hence the reason to be able to stagger this types of jobs the same way you do with the once a day jobs. I should be able to set a time when the jobs should start, and not on a 4 hour schedule starting at midnight.
As for licensing, as long as I have the number of licenses to cover the total amount of users backed up, the number of servers used should not be an issue (outside of the Windows licensing and any costs associated with the servers themselves).
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Thank you for the feedback, Tim.
As said, we'll look into adding more flexibility to scheduling options in the next versions.