Feature Request - License Usage Report/Tracking

Maintain control of your Microsoft Office 365 email data

Feature Request - License Usage Report/Tracking

Veeam Logoby n0creativity » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:18 pm 1 person likes this post

I searched through this forum and couldn't find an actual feature request for this, but if I missed it I am sorry.

Because Backup for Office365 (VBO) is licensed "per user", there absolutely needs to be a way to track how licenses are being consumed by the product.
Right now the license count appears to be a "black box" and even support can't provide me with details on WHY my license "usage" went up by 20 when we upgraded to 2.0 (case 03119427).
Their best "guess" is that somewhere a group is owned by a user that I have excluded and support has basically left it to me to figure it out... somehow.

Here's the very least that I would expect to be able to get from either the GUI or the PS module:
1. A list of users that are being counted towards the "current" total license usage
2. Detailed breakdown of each user and what exactly is consuming a license (aka Mailbox, OneDrive, Sharepoint, etc)
3. A projection of what the license usage count will be in 31+ days (or whatever the current "delay" is)
4. If I am "over" on my license count, how many days do I have left in my "grace period" (then I can use #3 to determine if I'll be within the limits again by then)

I'm sure others also have some great ideas on this topic. But PLEASE get these basic functions added ASAP.
With v1.5 we were keeping a spreadsheet to track our license usage... with the new complications that have been added with 2.0, I honestly don't know how we are going to track the license usage.
n0creativity
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: David Anderson

Re: Feature Request - License Usage Report/Tracking

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:09 am

Hi David,

Good requests. I will take these on the table with the DEVs.

But let's look into this issue.

I am assuming that we are not talking about on-premises or hybrid?
1 user license counts for the users Mailbox, Archive, OneDrive for Business and Personal site. There are no other ways of consuming a license. So if you protect one of those 4 objects for a specific user, a license is used.

What you could do in PowerShell now is check the following:

Code: Select all

$org = Get-VBOOrganization -Name "nameoftheorg"
$users = Get-VBOOrganizationUser -Organization $org -Type user (this will actually put ALL users in that variable so you can use the where with .IsBackedUp -eq "True" to see only the protected users)

Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 487 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby n0creativity » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:55 pm

No hybrid or on-prem.
Using the commands you listed above and filtering for $_.IsBackedUp -eq 'True', I get the exact same number of results as the license usage count that VBO is reporting.
However, the results include our resource mailboxes (aka Room and Equipment mailboxes) which shouldn't be consuming a license, as far as I understand.
Take away those resource mailboxes and our license usage would look about right.

I've been told that support is researching the issue.
n0creativity
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: David Anderson

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:08 am

Indeed, resource mailboxes should not consume a license.

That might be a bug starting from 2.0 as I heard this twice already now. Let's hope they find a solution quickly. Keep us informed!

Cheers
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 487 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Return to Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365