Maintain control of your Microsoft Office 365 email data
ulrik@braathe.no
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Ulrik Nilsen-Nygaard

Feature Request: Separate Retention policy for Deleted Items

Post by ulrik@braathe.no » Apr 05, 2018 12:18 pm

We are currenlty running VOB With our jobs defined with "For Ever" retention policy.

I would like to suggest that Veeam adds an option to allow us to define specific retention times for “Deleted Items” and “Permanently Deleted items”. Ideally setting separate retention policies for each of these.

This would allow us to keep a valid backup of the users mailbox as it is over time but at the same time avoiding bloat in the repository due to deleted mails existing forever.

Please respond

Kind Regards

Ulrik

Mike Resseler
Veeam Software
Liked: 498 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Feature Request: Separate Retention policy for Deleted I

Post by Mike Resseler » Apr 11, 2018 1:14 pm

Hi Ulrik,

First: Welcome to the forums!
Second: Apologies for the late reply.

It is a good suggestion but it is something which we haven't done at this moment. We already have it on our list for the longer future though.
What about the possibility to exclude those folders out of the mailbox? Is that an option?

bryanmeche
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bryan

Post by bryanmeche » Apr 17, 2018 2:54 pm

I'd second this as a feature request. Ideally we'd like a second retention policy to prune removed items after X days from the backup. Perhaps it's just a simple checkbox on the retention policy "Purge removed items after X days" or something. Our only option right now is "keep forever" and it's eating a lot of storage, and our users understand deleted items have to be recovered in a certain amount of time.

The way I understand it if I do a one year retention for backups, and a user keeps an item for longer than a year if they delete it, it could be gone forever since it's no longer retained in the backup. We essentially want our backups to mirror a user's mailbox with a retention of about 30 days for items that no longer exist regardless of how old that item was when it was removed. That would be a keep forever retention policy, but a second option to prune removed items after a certain amount of time.

Mike Resseler
Veeam Software
Liked: 498 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » Apr 17, 2018 3:05 pm

Thanks for the additional feature request and explanation. I agree this is a good workflow. And as said, something we haven't done yet but it is on our list.