Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
kyle.manel
Influencer
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Kyle Manel

FEATURE REQUEST: Stop persistent access of backup files

Post by kyle.manel »

The only way that presently exists to backup the VBO files and send them to a secondary location, is to use VBR to make a backup of a virtual host where VBO is installed, as VBO never releases the backup files from a state of read.

This is wasteful of backup resources; CPU, RAM, network and capacity.

It would be valuable to have a feature, similar to VBR that allowed for a secondary repository to be copied and/or mirrored to.

It could also be valuable, if these files were in a state of release at set intervals and/or outside of scheduled backup intervals;
Perhaps by caching them in a secondary target, and then using this to operate on them before returning the files to the destination location, such that scripts could be run to move these files to other locations for the purposes of replication.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Stop persistent access of backup files

Post by Mike Resseler »

Kyle,

While it is a good FR, at this point in time we are working on delivering different functionality as priority. But that said, we are realizing we need something like this in the long run
kyle.manel
Influencer
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Kyle Manel

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Stop persistent access of backup files

Post by kyle.manel »

Because I don't know the format of the data within the database employed by VBO, nor if it maintains the data on disk or in RAM, I would like to know if a Veeam Windows agent (VWA) can be used to backup and recover the VBO data, or if an entire VM backup, which is a tad wasteful, is the best course to provide what I seek?
If the former, what files are necessary to backup such that a full recovery of Office-365 can be successful.