Help understanding retention policies?

Maintain control of your Microsoft Office 365 email data

Help understanding retention policies?

Veeam Logoby alex.talmage » Wed May 09, 2018 4:15 pm

Hi Guys,

I need some assistance understanding rentention policies in Veeam for Office 365. We've just set up Exchange Hybrid and are about to begin migrating mailboxes.

Our current VBR backup for Exchange On-Premises retains 45 restore points, which with our full/inc strategy gives us around 7 weeks on disk. If a user deleted an email, and then wanted us to restore it 8 weeks later, in theory that email is not in any backups and is lost, simplifying a lot of things here.

Trying to translate this into Veeam O365. The retention options are a lot different. So my understanding is, if I set the retention policy on a repositry to 45 days, Veeam O365 will only backup and download emails that are 45 days or younger? And Once an email in the repository gets older than 45 days, it will also delete it from the backup? Is that correct?
And likewise, if I set the retention to keep everything, literally every email, in everyone's mailbox will be backed up and kept forever. And if the user deletes that email, it still won't be deleted from the backup repository?

If my understanding above is correct, is there a way that I can translate my on-premise retention period into something similar within VO365?

Any help getting my head around this would be much appreciated!
alex.talmage
Lurker

Liked: never

Re: Help understanding retention policies?

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Fri May 11, 2018 5:22 am

Hi Alex,

First: Welcome to the forums!

You are correct in your understanding. Retention works on modified date of the item (mail/ contact/ ...).
To translate, that won't be that easy. However, some people prefer to do a backup with a retention of 1 year or similar, and then use VBR to backup the VBO server with a retention of x restore points. Maybe look into that direction?
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 486 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby alex.talmage » Mon May 14, 2018 8:12 am

Mike,

Thanks for your response. Glad I've got the correct understanding. So does the very first backup of a mailbox backup everything, or only that which fits the retention period?
alex.talmage
Lurker

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon May 14, 2018 10:45 am

Only what fits the retention period. So if you start with a retention of 5 years, every object in the mailbox which has a modified date older than 5 years will be ignored

Cheers
M/
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...

Veeam Logoby dimaslan » Mon May 21, 2018 5:29 pm

Can I ask, how does one do archival backups with Office 365? Some organizations require for monthly and yearly backups to be kep for everything, including emails. So let's say you have this setup on a separate server on on the same as your B&R. Can you setup a file copy job to go to a GFS respository? I am guessing ReFS will work as well?

Thank you.
dimaslan
Service Provider

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Dimitris Aslanidis

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue May 22, 2018 7:40 am

Hey Dimitris,

In that case I would advice you to run VBO and/or its proxies on a VM. Then you can use VBR to protect the VM to a VBR repository (note: VBR and VBO repository are two different things). VBR does recognize it as a VBO server so you can still do item-level recovery from the VBR server

Hope it helps
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Return to Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365