Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Josh4D

Incremental Backup

Post by Josh4D »

Hi,
We have run a full backup and now it doing incrementals:

How does the incremental backup work and are there any setting for keeping a time periods worth (say one week) worth. I'm assuming I can restore from any of the time period incrementals and the original full backup
tsanfilipp
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim S

Re: Incremental Backup

Post by tsanfilipp »

I'll jump in. Retention for Veeam Backup for Office 365 is not the same as retention in a standard backup program like Veeam Backup and Replication.

The retention you set on the repository means that only the objects that fall within the time period will be backed up:
If you set a 7 year retention, but have 10 years of emails, the oldest 3 years of emails do not get backed up, and as backups continue, any emails that fall outside the retention fall out of the database (email that is 7 years and 1 day old is dropped)

I suggest you read the user guide for a better explanation.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Josh and welcome to Veeam's community!

Incremental backups check objects modification date and save only the changed items. Jobs run according to the schedule specified in the backup job settings. Scheduling is flexible and you can set to run them at a certain time on selected days, or periodically daily at a specified interval. Each successful job run provides a point for restore.

Older restore points are available within the retention policy you configured for a given repository. And, as Tim said above, when planning for data restores, please keep in mind the specifics of the VBO retention policy.

Thanks!
Josh4D

Post by Josh4D »

Hi,
Thanks for the update, I understand the retention policy and intend to use the functionality, my question which you have partially answered is how do the incremental backs work. i.e. if I started a full backup on Monday and after that for the next 7 day incremental backup run can I restore information from any of the 7 days. I've started testing and I think that the answer is yes but just wanted it confirming.

Thanks,
Josh
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina » 1 person likes this post

Josh,

Sorry for my misunderstanding. Your assumption is correct: If incremental jobs are performed daily, you will have restore points available for each of those days.