Maintain control of your Microsoft Office 365 email data
AlexB82
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Alex

Licence question - company leavers

Post by AlexB82 » Apr 02, 2019 10:01 am

We've been using VBO for some months now, and it's a great product. We have a question regarding licences used for people who've left the company....

When we have people leave, their accounts are disabled, they're unlicenced from 365, and their Azure account is removed (leaving on-prem only). However, the number of licences used doesn't go down - is this normal behaviour? Are we going to need to carry on maintaining extra licences for every person who leaves?

Cheers !!

Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 170 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Licence question - company leavers

Post by Polina » Apr 02, 2019 10:20 am 1 person likes this post

Hi Alex,

Unused licenses will be revoked automatically after 31 days since the last backup. We also provide an extra grace count of 10 user accounts or 10% of the license count (whichever is greater) granted if you exceed the limit of purchased licenses.

Also, when you upgrade to version 3 (which will be GA very soon!), you'll be able to revoke the unneeded licenses right when you need it. The only requirement will be to remove the corresponding users' data from all the backup repositories.

whimark
Influencer
Full Name: Markus Johansson

Post by whimark » Apr 03, 2019 2:10 pm

Is the backupdata for a user removed after 31 days since removal of the account in Office365?

//Markus

Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 170 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina » Apr 03, 2019 2:17 pm

Backed up data will be removed according to the specified retention.

whimark
Influencer
Full Name: Markus Johansson

Post by whimark » Apr 03, 2019 2:50 pm

Ok thanks!

nielsengelen
Veeam Software
Liked: 578 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen » Apr 04, 2019 9:13 am

Keep in mind, you can leverage PowerShell to remove data before the retention is reached by using Remove-VBOEntityData.
VCP-DCV
Veeam Certified Architect (VMCA)
http://foonet.be

tsanfilipp
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim S

Post by tsanfilipp » Apr 22, 2019 8:02 pm

Quick question - why would I need to remove the no longer licensed user's data from the repository? What if I need to hold onto that data for the retention period, in case of restore requests? Are you saying that if I now remove a license, I also have to remove the data for that user as well? But, if the user leaves and I don't back him/her up for 31 days, the license releases and I don't have to remove the data?

Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 639 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » Apr 23, 2019 5:03 am

Tim,

I think there is some misunderstanding here so let me explain:

1. License:
The license will be revoked after 31 days so you can reuse it. The data itself will not be deleted at all and will remain there for the time of the retention. So yes, if the user leaves and he is not protected anymore for 31 days, the data is still there and the license is released.

2. Remove-VBOEntityData: We built this specifically for testing purposes and mistakes by accident. We heard with the previous versions that if you make mistakes during setup, re-configuration or something like that, it was not pleasant to wait for 31 days until the license has been released, even if you only had it in a job for 1 time or so. Therefore we created the possibility to revoke the license after the data of the mistake is deleted. (Obviously we ask for the deletion of that data otherwise it would be too easy to cheat with licenses :-))

Makes sense?

HDClown
Influencer
Liked: 6 times

Post by HDClown » Apr 23, 2019 1:21 pm

Mike,

Can Remove-VBOLicensedUser be used to immediately revoke a license from a user? If so, does that users backup data get retained after using this cmdlet?

Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler » Apr 23, 2019 1:26 pm

It can be used, but you need to remove the data of that user first. So you can't retain the license immediately without deleting the data

Symbiot78
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Martin Rask Thomsen

Post by Symbiot78 » May 14, 2019 9:49 am

I'd like to revisit this topic a bit.

I am required to keep a backup of the users mailbox & onedrive for 2 years after the user stops at the company.
I do not want to use a license for this.

if Veeam does not allow me to remove the license before I delete the data how can I achieve this?

Is there a Powershell command that can do an export to a folder for instance?

so the export would export all files out of the database and into a standard folder and files / PST would be accessible there?

I can't find a PS command that will allow me to export..

Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler » May 14, 2019 11:45 am

Martin,

You can keep the data for two years. The license will still be released after 31 days.

As for your PowerShell... I don't know them out of my head but you can start a PowerShell restore session and export the required data as PST. The PowerShell for the Veeam explorers is a bit hidden on the helpcenter I'm afraid. You can find it here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4