Maintain control of your Microsoft Office 365 email data
Post Reply
tomas.olsen
Veeam ProPartner
Posts: 60
Liked: 9 times
Joined: Apr 26, 2011 10:18 pm
Full Name: Tomas Olsen
Contact:

License Count Veeam O365

Post by tomas.olsen » Jun 18, 2019 10:25 am

Hello fellow Veeam users!

I have an issue with Office 365.
We have bought 500 licenses for backup of office 365. I have been told that Veeam only counts the active user objects within O365. That means that sharepoint sites will not be counted as a seperate license.
My backup takes backup of the entire Tenant with no excludes at the moment. And I only backup mail for now.
In our AD we have about 300 active users, so we should be not be underlicensed on a short term.
Still......
My backup job failes and in the console it says that we are overusing with 15 licenses. those users will not be backed up. This means that I am using 515 licenses when I only have about 300 active users.
If I run the License usage report from the console, and the select only the last two days, the pdf tells me that I am using 548 licenses in total. So an even higher number.

To try to fix this issue, I created a Office365 group and took 15 users from the pdf list over active licenses and added the users to that group. and set the group as exclude on the job. Now the daily job says that I have X number of users excluded, but still I am overusing with 15 users.

I am running the latest V3 version. I tried scripting the population of the O365 group that I use for exclude, but it seems a little difficult since many of my accounts dont have a valid email adress (disabled users).

I need to know how Veeam counts the licenses needed. because none of my numbers compute....

We are just starting rolling out OneDrive, Sharepoint Online and Teams for many of our users, and I feel the need to have a working backup solution before the users takes off uncontrolled into the cloud.

Regards, Tomas

nielsengelen
Veeam Software
Posts: 2646
Liked: 545 times
Joined: Jul 15, 2013 11:09 am
Full Name: Niels Engelen
Contact:

Re: License Count Veeam O365

Post by nielsengelen » Jun 18, 2019 10:29 am

Hi Tomas,

You can use Powershell to see which licenses are being consumed via Get-VBOLicensedUser.
If you see licenses being assigned wrong, you can remove them via Remove-VBOLicensedUser.

If this doesn't work or values are still being incorrect, I suggest a quick support call to see what is going on exactly.
VCP-DCV
Veeam Certified Architect (VMCA)
http://foonet.be

Polina
Veeam Software
Posts: 884
Liked: 140 times
Joined: Oct 21, 2011 11:22 am
Full Name: Polina Vasileva
Contact:

Re: License Count Veeam O365

Post by Polina » Jun 18, 2019 10:47 am

Tomas,

Please open a support call as Niels suggested above.
How many Team Site mailboxes do you have in your organization? In v3, there's a known issue with those being incorrectly licensed. If support engineers confirm it to be the root cause, you'll get a corresponding fix.

Thanks

tomas.olsen
Veeam ProPartner
Posts: 60
Liked: 9 times
Joined: Apr 26, 2011 10:18 pm
Full Name: Tomas Olsen
Contact:

Re: License Count Veeam O365

Post by tomas.olsen » Jun 19, 2019 6:16 am

Hello and thank you for your quick respons.

I tried running those powershell commands in several different ways.
And sad to say this makes me even more frustrated.
Powershell says I have 50 exceeded licenses and 500 licensed users. so 550 in total. the pdf report in the console says 548 licenses used in total. and on the backup job it says 15 licenses exceeded.

Think I will open a support ticket for this one.
I can post back the results of the ticket.

Polina
Veeam Software
Posts: 884
Liked: 140 times
Joined: Oct 21, 2011 11:22 am
Full Name: Polina Vasileva
Contact:

Re: License Count Veeam O365

Post by Polina » Jun 19, 2019 9:32 am

That would be great. And please post your support ticket ID here so that we could follow the investigation.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests