Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
ericstar
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric S

Limitations of Veeam 3.0 Support for SharePoint Online

Post by ericstar »

Hi,

I am interested in your backup solution for Microsoft Office 365. During some testing on your Community Edition v3.0 for "SharePoint Online", I discovered that some of the site items that I failed to perform backup & restore in previous v2.0 version can now be supported in v3.0. I have also read the below article in your support forum, about some of the limitations in restoring site setting features.
veeam-backup-for-microsoft-office-365-f ... 57218.html

As a SharePoint Administrator I would be keen to know a bit more in-depth details of all the SharePoint Online features that have been fully supported in backup & restore in your latest release, including but not limited to:

1. Site Content - any default "modern" and "classic" site templates / lists & libraries & APPs. For example, the "Classic Team Site" template come with altogether 19 Lists & Apps by default, can I assume that all these site items would all be supported for backup and restore?

2. Any limitations in terms of "content correctness" after performing a restore of the entire site collections e.g. will there be missing list columns or attributes for a particular list or libraries?

3. If the entire site collection has to be restored from the previous backup set, would the "site settings" including permissions (user & groups, list permissions) & custom workflows be restored to it's latest state or default state or none?

Many thanks!
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Limitations of Veeam 3.0 Support for SharePoint Online

Post by Polina » 1 person likes this post

Hi Eric and welcome to the Community!

First, you can review the list of restrictions and limitations in the v3 Release Notes document. It's up to date and relevant for the v3 GA version.

Next, to your points:
1. "modern" and "classic" site templates are supported for both backup and restore, except for SharePoint App Store applications (see the RN for details)
2. List columns and most of the attributes can be restored without any issues. However, note that "shared with" attribute and themes currently are not supported for restore.
3. The data will be restored to the state of the selected point in time

Hope it helps