Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
MartinC
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Martin Crawshaw

Migrating SharePoint Document Library using O365 Restore

Post by MartinC »

Hi

I am trying to migrate the entire contents of a SharePoint Online Team Site Documents Library (Files: 36,000; Folders 3,500; Size: 19GB ) to a different Team Site within the same tenant while maintaining version history and permissions. I'm trying to use Veeam Backup for O365 v2 to achieve this. I have tried:

1) Restoring the entire site to a target with the new name.

This created the new site with the correct URL but within the site it still had the original name.

2) Created the new Team Site within SharePoint Online and then attempted to specify that site as the target for the restoration of the Document Library from backup.

This restored a copy of the Document Library to the original Team Site giving the Library the name that was intended for the new Team Site.

While tidying up method (1) I was able to rename the site but it is not clear that it would rename all associated components such as the O365 Groups. Option (2) seems tidier but I cannot see how to specify the different Team Site as the restore target for a Document LIbrary restore. Is there a syntax for this?

Hoping you can suggest a reliable method to achieve this.

Thank-you
Martin
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Migrating SharePoint Document Library using O365 Restore

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Martin.

Just so we are on the same path. You want the files from a team site restored to another team site.

I am not sure what exactly you are doing in method 2, but my suggestion would be to go to the Veeam Explorer, select the 36000 files and folders and so on and restore those to the newly created team site, under the files (or document library). That should do the trick I think
MartinC
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Martin Crawshaw

Post by MartinC »

Hi Mike

Thank-you for your reply.

Yes that's exactly what I want to do but the Restore wizard does not seem to allow me to specify a different Team Site.

There are three different Restore Modes in the Veeam SharePoint Explorer:

1) Document Libraries and Lists
2) Documents and List Items
3) SharePoint Sites

In each one the wizard requests the "Target". For options (1) and (2) this only seems to allow you to specify a new name within the original site. Only option (3) allows you to specify the name of a different site.

As stated in my original post, the problem with option (3) is that although is does restore the Team Site to a new location, it still has the same name and I'm not confident that simply changing the name attribute will update all related objects such as O365 Groups. Therefore I want to use option (1) to restore the whole Document Library to a different site but my problem is that the Restore wizard will not allow me to specify a target outside the original Team Site.

I hope that clarifies the issue.

Regards
Martin
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Martin,
I will need to investigate this and see what scenario is tested in this case. Teams is a special beast with limited API access (although MSFT tells us they are working on it...). It might take some time but let me see what our testers can come up with

Thanks
Mike