Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
IT_Vision
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

O365 Backup to Azure hosted VM

Post by IT_Vision »

Hello,

I am in the process of putting together some information to present to my organization on Veeam Backup for Office 365. One of the items I am trying to determine is what type of VM would be required to backup the O365 data to a VM running in Azure, mainly surrounding the data repository. I am trying to determine the cost of storage and what would be ideal to support this backup data in Azure.

Looking at some of the Azure VM pricing models and various VM instance options and the cost for storage transaction and other factors it might not fit in the budget. We do have on-prem infrastructure that could support bringing the data back on-prem but was hoping to hear and see what other have done with backing up the data to an Azure VM.

Appreciate any input and suggestions.

Regards
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: O365 Backup to Azure hosted VM

Post by Polina »

Hi,

In many aspects, storage sizing for VBO is like an equation with many unknowns. For Exchange backups, there’s the following formula, which can be helpful to estimate storage requirements:

For primary mailboxes: (Current PMs total size) + (Daily change rate x2) * (Days of retention) + (10% of space for logs)

Additionally, you need to consider some space for archive mailboxes: (Current AMs total size) + (Daily change rate x2) * (Days of retention) + (10% of space for logs)

Note, that each repository (a single database) is limited to 64 TB per year.

When planning for a repository in Azure, an important thing to consider is traffic and its associated costs. Also, it’d make sense to check the location of O365 servers where your data resides (use the https://diagnostics.outlook.com/ utility) and plan for Azure VMs in the same or a nearby region to save on traffic and time.

You may also want to deploy Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 in Azure, as now it’s available in Azure Marketplace.

Hope this helps..