Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
YouGotServered
Service Provider
Liked: 51 times
Full Name: Cory Wallace

Object Storage Vendor Performance Comparisons?

Post by YouGotServered »

Hey all,
Hoping someone else may have done some performance testing and can offer some input. Unfortunately, my current responsibilities don't afford me all the time I need for performance testing. I'm asking specifically regarding Office 365 backup in v4, but performance testing from vbr cloud tier would be useful information as well, I imagine.

We are looking forward to implementing object storage with VBOv4 and I'm wondering if anyone has strong input one way or another. Since cloud tier was made available earlier this year, all the hype I've heard (even from Gostev himself) has been around Wasabi. Given their pricing, that's understandable.

Pricing is important to us, but if anyone else is aware of huge drawbacks with Wasabi or performance improvements with other vendors, I'd love to hear about it before going straight to Wasabi (which I'm tempted to do). If anyone has any good internal side or S3 vendor side must-do tweaks for performance or stability, I'm all ears as well.

Thanks in advance for any input.

(Current environment is about 20 tenants and 11TB of storage used)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Object Storage Vendor Performance Comparisons?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Cory,

I think you still will need to take the time in making decisions. Are you going to run on-prem or in the cloud? I think that is probably your biggest question you need to solve. Yes, Wasabi is cheap, and performs well, but it has been down already on a massive scale (and so have the other clouds already). Also, what is cheap? Can you do it yourself at such a cost per month? Most likely not. Can you purchase a system for 3 years at such a cost per month? Might be possible, depending on various parameters.

What we are seeing now is that most people like to deploy VBO in Azure or in AWS so the VM (proxy) sits "close" to the object storage. Another thing to keep in mind what your plans are...
YouGotServered
Service Provider
Liked: 51 times
Full Name: Cory Wallace

Re: Object Storage Vendor Performance Comparisons?

Post by YouGotServered »

Thanks Mike. We are planning on running it on prem and sending data up. I think the compute that we would need in the cloud would wipe out any cost savings. We have been holding storage on prem for a while but it needs to be upgraded. I ran the numbers with Wasabi and it would take over 8 years to break even paying monthly for Wasabi versus buying storage outright. That's a long enough break even to me that paying for cloud storage is a benefit. Who knows what will happen in 8 years, and my data footprint may grow so much that we need to purchase another appliance.

I stayed on top of the Wasabi issues for a while. I agree that many have gone down already and that's the inherent risk - I really don't have control over the infrastructure.