Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
BriFar
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Brian Farrugia

Office 365 Archive enabled Mailboxes

Post by BriFar »

Hi,
I tried the Beta for Office 365 backup and noticed that the archive mailbox is not being backed up. I noticed this when trying a test restore I was not given the archive in the mailbox tree.
Did I do something wrong or is this not supported in the beta?

I have also noticed that you need an account with a license assigned to it in-order to connect to an organization.
As SMB would have it, they would usually pay for the mailboxes they actively use only and not for their subcontracted IT admin team :?
Is that a limit of O365 or do I need to enable some special permissions in on the account I am using?

Brian
Kostya
Veeam Software
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Kostya Yasyuk

Re: Office 365 Archive enabled Mailboxes

Post by Kostya »

BriFar wrote:I tried the Beta for Office 365 backup and noticed that the archive mailbox is not being backed up. I noticed this when trying a test restore I was not given the archive in the mailbox tree.
Did I do something wrong or is this not supported in the beta?
Hi Brian, this is a limitation of the beta build. It will be supported in the GA version.
Kostya
Veeam Software

Post by Kostya »

BriFar wrote:I have also noticed that you need an account with a license assigned to it in-order to connect to an organization.
As SMB would have it, they would usually pay for the mailboxes they actively use only and not for their subcontracted IT admin team :?
Is that a limit of O365 or do I need to enable some special permissions in on the account I am using?
Brian, you don't need a license assigned to that account, just checked, it just works. :) But you might be hitting known issue: when a new account is created in Office 365 with password containing symbols like "~" or "#", then it cannot run a PS cmdlets up to the first password change. You can even change it to exacly the same password. Then it works as expected.
BriFar
Veeam ProPartner

Post by BriFar »

Hi Kostya,
thanks for the replies.
Re account, i tested with other accounts where we do not have a mailbox and it worked.
I seem to have one of the test domains for whom I am getting the error when i tries to connect to EWS:

Code: Select all

30/09/2016 20:34:11    4 (2720)     Failed to connect to Exchange Web Services.
30/09/2016 20:34:11    4 (2720) Error: Mailbox does not exist.
The subsequent operations are successful.

This happens when I try to add the Org.
The password does not have any special characters. The domain has a "-" in it like "domain-name.com"
Could that be causing an issue?
I will open a support case just in case.
Brian
Kostya
Veeam Software

Post by Kostya »

Brian, I've sent you a link to an FTP via PM. Could you please upload full log containing this error?
BriFar
Veeam ProPartner

Post by BriFar » 1 person likes this post

Hi Kostya,
thanks for willing to assist. As mentioned in the PM, the issue seems to be resolved by itself.
Tried connecting again this morning and it connected to the organization without issues.

Thanks once again
Brian
Kostya
Veeam Software

Post by Kostya »

We have a new version, the release candidate, that supports Archive enabled mailboxes. You can find all the information in this thread.
snadam
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by snadam »

Yes, I know I'm reviving an old thread.

I'm running the GA version 2.0.0.594 and am running into the same problem as the person that started the thread; online archive mailboxes are not being backed up.
The error message is :

Code: Select all

10/26/2018 2:41:36 AM :: Processing archive mailbox user@MyDomain.com failed with error: Cannot access mailbox.. Failed to synchronize item changes in folder: Inbox.. Mailbox move in progress. Try again later., Cannot open mailbox. :: 0:27:13
I receive this same error for all archive mailboxes (about 20 of them). I am not conducting any other processes at the same time so the "Mailbox move in progress." statement seems to be out of place.

What do you suggest?

Thank you.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Mailbox move potentially could be performed as a background process inside the O365 infrastructure. So, it still makes sense to run Get-MoveRequest and see the results. If everything is ok and you still can access those mailboxes in Outlook, it'd be best to re-run the backup again (I know that the similar issues have resolved naturally in some cases). If there's still no success in the next couple of days, please create a support case (and provide you case ID here).

Thanks!
snadam
Influencer

Post by snadam »

Thank you, I'll give your suggestions a try and report back with the results.
snadam
Influencer

Post by snadam »

As suggested I waited and the problem eventually cleared up without any action on my part. Each backup retry knocked a few of the failing mailboxes of the list until they were all captured by the 5th attempt. I did check to see if any moves were in the queue; it was empty.
Thank you
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

@snadam,

Thank you for getting back on this. I'll share the results with our support and R&D teams. There were a few more similar cases among our customers, which also have resolved naturally. We'll continue to investigate how to overcome such issues.