Outbound data costs

Maintain control of your Microsoft Office 365 email data

Outbound data costs

Veeam Logoby JaySt » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:53 pm

I was wondering how backing up O365 mailboxes will impact costs related to outbound data transfer.
I'm not an O365 expert, but i think O365 does not charge for outbound data. correct? Should be safe there in that case.

However, serious(size) deployments will probably leverage ExpressRoute connections to O365 (could be wrong here again). ExpressRoute (through a service provider) will charge for outbound data. It's about 2cents/GB in EMEA as far as i can see. Getting your data out of O365 to onpremise storage can cause additional costs at arround 20 euro per TB. I also noticed there's a monthly outbound datalimit for ExpressRoute to Azure when a Service Provider is used. I do not know if ExpressRoute to O365 handles costs related to outbound data differently compared to ExpressRoute to Azure. I would think that's not the case.

The need to backup many mailboxes makes me wonder how the product will scale in performance.
Any beta users have thoughts about outbound data costs and/or can share performance numbers when backing up mailboxes of larger sizes (multiple GB's)?
Veeam Certified Engineer
JaySt
Service Provider

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: JaySt

Re: Outbound data costs

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:15 am

Hi,

O365, indeed, does not charge for outbound data. However, you are right that express route will charge outbound data unless you take an unlimited data plan. If you are using express route, then costs for IaaS / PaaS / O365 are handled in the same way.

As regards scalability, then we are in a beta stage right now and cannot provide exact numbers on what scalability and performance limits will be. Me personally, I don't use expressroute, so my outbound data costs are none, and the traffic today is acceptable, but I am not backing up a lot.

When we GA, we should be able to share some more data on the scalability limits.
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 365 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Outbound data costs

Veeam Logoby JaySt » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:48 pm

ok, thanks for the confirmation.

looking forward to the GA!
Veeam Certified Engineer
JaySt
Service Provider

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: JaySt

Return to Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365