Question of how VBO backs up the mailboxes.

Maintain control of your Microsoft Office 365 email data

Question of how VBO backs up the mailboxes.

Veeam Logoby friopel » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:07 pm

Hi there,

We have recently started using VBO (recently as in today! :D ) and I have a couple of questions.

- When the mailbox is backed up, does every subsequent incremental backup becomes a sort of restore point? I know it's not the same thing as B&R, but can I go back to the state of the mailbox from 3 days ago, for instance?
- What's the logic behind a deleted mailbox. When I delete it from O365 and it stops being backed up, will I still have access to the old mail for the duration of the retention period? Or should I extract it and save it somewhere else?

Thanks!

F.
friopel
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Franc Riopel

Re: Question of how VBO backs up the mailboxes.

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:29 am

Hi Franc,

First, welcome to the forums!

- When the mailbox is backed up, does every subsequent incremental backup becomes a sort of restore point? I know it's not the same thing as B&R, but can I go back to the state of the mailbox from 3 days ago, for instance?

You can go to a specific "restore point" of 3 days ago and see what is in the mailbox (just select a specific date) but in reality, as you said, it is not like B&R, it is more of an archive with an applied retention on it. Note that the retention is taken from the exchange online item. So for example, imagine the retention is 3 years, but in your mailbox there is still a mail that is 5 years old, it won't be protected by VBO as it is older than the retention range.

- What's the logic behind a deleted mailbox. When I delete it from O365 and it stops being backed up, will I still have access to the old mail for the duration of the retention period? Or should I extract it and save it somewhere else?

You still will have access and it will remain there until the retention period is over.

Hope it helps
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby friopel » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:08 pm

Mike Resseler wrote:Note that the retention is taken from the exchange online item. So for example, imagine the retention is 3 years, but in your mailbox there is still a mail that is 5 years old, it won't be protected by VBO as it is older than the retention range.

So, to put it simple, every time the backup runs, it :
  • downloads all the emails received since the last backup
  • deletes email that are past the retention period from the backup

Is that correct?
friopel
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:45 pm

Correct.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1075 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby friopel » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:54 pm

Thanks for the info, Mike and Foggy!
friopel
Novice

Return to Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365