Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
tsanfilipp
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim S

Reporting question

Post by tsanfilipp »

Since moving to V3 and changing to Groups rather than users, I'm noticing issues with reporting that I'd like to see if there is a way to address:

1.) Is there no way within a group, to see what mailboxes are in a specific backup job? I know the email notification shows the amount o mailboxes processed and the names, but is there a way to pull this information with powershell from Veeam?

2.) When looking at specific users via powershell, I can see whether they are triggered via the IsBackedUp field(true/false). However, if I look at the group level, this field is always False. Is this normal? Shouldn't both user and group level report the same status?

3.) Is there a way via powershell, to pull a list of newly backed up mailboxes/users/groups? If a new hired gets added to an existing group, I'd like to be able to pull up a quick report to show those users on a weekly basis, at the least.

If these options are not available, can they be added as a feature request?
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Reporting question

Post by Polina » 1 person likes this post

Hi Tim,

1) Get-VBOBackupItem will return the list of users (or groups, sites, etc.) included into a specific backup job, and will show if a group mailbox is backed up and if group members' mailboxes are backed up.

2) I assume there're some users which belong to a group in question, right? In this case, IsBackedUp status can be different, as backing up all members of a certain group (by adding them to a job as users) is not the same as backing up the group itself (where you can select to process group mailbox and/or members' mail). Did you explicitly add the group to a backup job and specified to process its mailbox?

3) On the fly, I'd say there's no direct way to do it; but I'll double-check and get back on this.

Thanks!
tsanfilipp
Enthusiast

Post by tsanfilipp »

1. Get-vbobackupitem shows what is backed up by the job, but seems limited to the actual object (user, group, etc). As we are doing all group based backups at this point, I know which jobs are processing which groups, but I'd like the ability to look into those groups and see what mailboxes are actually processed as well. Right now, I just have to wait until the job itself completes and then check the list of backed up mailboxes.

2.) So, all of our jobs are currently backing up dynamic distribution groups. If I run powershell and look at the mailboxes in a specific group, those mailboxes display as IsBackedUp "true". However, if I run the same powershell, but point it at the dynamic group, that group displays as IsBackedUp "false". Is that how it is supposed to be displayed?

3.) I'm not sure if this is possible either, but it would be nice to know if there is some kind of property that I could key off of for a new mailbox.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

The only way 3 could work would be to create a logger in a CSV file with PowerShell.

The script could run every X hours (via windows task manager) and note down the users in the CSV file and update on every run. Not optimal but should work.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
tsanfilipp
Enthusiast

Post by tsanfilipp »

Any plans to somehow add this kind of functionality in with a future release? Or better yet, add this to one of the built in reports, where you get a list of the mailboxes protected and the jobs they are associated with?