Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
stvajnkf
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times

REQ: Faster email enumeration in Veeam Explorer

Post by stvajnkf »

When I view a backup repo's contents with Veeam Explorer and click on a folder, it takes a long time for it to show the emails inside. I'm trying it now for the first time, and it has been spinning its wheels for several minutes trying to load a folder with 15,000 emails.

Also, this is interesting, but in my test, I see that it loads in a weird order that causes inconvenience:
1) Open Veeam Explorer
2) Expand a mailbox
3) Click a folder with 15,000 emails
4) Click the link at the top to show all emails (instead of limiting to 100 items)
5) Notice: First, the list loaded from today back to about 1/13/2017, then it seems to start back from 2006 and is loading additional emails moving forward in time. Right now, it's loading emails from 2015 and progressing towards 2016. If I scroll down about 10% on the scrollbar, I found the point on the list where Explorer is loading emails and inserting them into the list. Above that point, the list is staying unchanged (since it's already loaded the emails after 2017) but below that point, it's inserting emails into the list and pushing the rest of the list down. That means, if I scroll down to 50% on the scroll bar, everything on the screen keeps sinking lower and lower on the list as new items are being inserted above. This makes it impossible to read anything or do anything until I wait for the entire list to finish loading.
6) After about 5-10 minutes (I wrote this post and had a phone call while it was loading), it finished loading and everything looks great.

I guess a simple solution for these two issues would be for the Repo database files to include an "index file" that acts like a table of contents, and always load emails from newest to oldest. The index file will help with the speed, and the load order will cause items to be added to the BOTTOM of the list instead of the top or middle, avoiding the scroll problem. Somehow, Microsoft Outlook is able to show that folder and its 15,000 emails nearly instantly, so that could be the ideal target to achieve.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: REQ: Faster email enumeration in Veeam Explorer

Post by Polina » 1 person likes this post

Hi stvajnkf,

Once an item is loaded it's instantly available for viewing and restoring. As for the rest, let me please check on such behavior for large mailboxes with our QC team.

Thank you for the feedback!