Maintain control of your Microsoft Office 365 email data
dr.Koen
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Koen Gryspeerdt

Request: support for extra repository types

Post by dr.Koen » Mar 27, 2019 1:39 pm

I find it a bit disappointing that Veeam Backup for O365 cannot be integrated with the B&R console, and I saw other treads requesting this feature. But I find it even more disappointing that only a limited amount of repository types can be used. More specifically, I would like to use a CIFS repository but apparently this is not supported. Are there plans to reach the same compatibility level as B&R?

nielsengelen
Veeam Software
Liked: 566 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Request: support for extra repository types

Post by nielsengelen » Mar 27, 2019 1:46 pm

You can use SMB3 as a repository. Since CIFS is a form of SMB, my question to you is, why the request for CIFS specifically? Are you using a specific backup target which doesn't support SMB3 (which is way better vs CIFS)?
VCP-DCV
Veeam Certified Architect (VMCA)
http://foonet.be

dr.Koen
Influencer

Post by dr.Koen » Mar 28, 2019 10:55 am

This is a NetApp SVM with CIFS sharing. As far as I know there is no possibility to switch that to SMB3. I solved the issue by switching to an iSCSI SVM, something which Veeam O365 can handle. So far so good, but I can use a CIFS share as repository in B&R without issues. It does not seem logical to me that 2 products from the same company differ in specifications like that.

Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 148 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina » Mar 28, 2019 11:19 am

Koen,

These two solutions - VBR and VBO - are very different in terms of the underlying databases, which drives the different repository requirements.

dr.Koen
Influencer

Post by dr.Koen » Apr 01, 2019 6:18 am

Thank you for the reply, Polina. Being used to VBR it is a bit confusing in the beginneing but in the meantime I managed to get VBO up and running.

Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 148 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina » Apr 01, 2019 10:41 am

Koen,

It's good to know you have it all set now )

On a side note, you can also use VBR to create a secondary copy of VBO data. When backing up a VBO server VM with application-aware processing you can then perform a file-level restore of your Office 365 data directly from a backup file.