Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
jumbofoot
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Salit

Restore Site to NEW 365 Tenant?

Post by jumbofoot »

Greetings,
I have a strange Microsoft situation where I HAVE TO dump the entire 365 tenant, create a brand new 365 tenant (in the proper country/region)... and then import all of the old content. Total PITA. So, I was wondering if anyone has attempted to use Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 as means to effectively migrate a 365 tenant? Probably not, but I thought I would ask!

If nothing else, I should be able to use the on-premise 365 backup to generate PSTs that can be uploaded to the new tenant. Has anyone tried THIS approach to 365 migration via 365 Backup?

Thanks in advance!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Restore Site to NEW 365 Tenant?

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Hey Jason,

That is indeed a PITA. I am actually not sure how this is going to be achieved. If you export the mails (for example) and then import them in a new tenant, with a different user (even when the user is the same name) I see issues that it is not going to be matched.

I would suggest you get one user (maybe best a test user) and try it out first and see what the result is. But to be honest, I'm afraid for the ID mismatches between old and new tenant...
jumbofoot
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Salit

Post by jumbofoot »

Hi Mike,
Thanks for posting. I agree with what you've said. I remember the "old days" of on-prem Exchange... the internal storage of each mailbox had references to the original hosting server. I think that also happens in 365 migrations as well (part of what the tools do for you, fix references). So... While it's still a PITA, I MUCH prefer the prospect of dumping PSTs from a local backup! So, thumbs up for O365 BU!

For clarity though, I did get a response from Tech Support on the matter. They indicated that IF you had multiple Sites configured in the O365 backup (in our case the old and the new), that you can, on restore, pick the target Site that you want to use! So, technically it seems to be supported. However, all previous warnings are, I think, valid. I'll update if it works.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Yes, if you indeed add the new tenant then you will be able to restore from old to new, but still there will be ID issues and I am not sure how it will be visible in the outlook/ inbox of that new user.

And yes, it would be great if you could update us. Something tells me that others are following this thread for results ;-)
TonioRoffo
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Yves Smolders

Post by TonioRoffo »

Hello,

I would like to see an update on this - did this work in a non-lab, real world situation?

Thanks