Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
kevz0r
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: KA

Retention changes planned?

Post by kevz0r » 1 person likes this post

Hi guys,

Are there any plans to change the retention policy on a repository similar to GFS? - ie. instead of just x years, keep every hour for a month, then once a week for x weeks, once a month for x months, etc.

Thanks
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Retention changes planned?

Post by nielsengelen »

Hi Kevin,

No plans for this in v2. If you however run everything in a VM you could use VBR to achieve GFS points with backup copy job.

Out of interest and maybe for future development; would you prefer the way we back up with VBR more compared to the current method?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
tsanfilipp
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim S

Post by tsanfilipp »

I prefer the current retention policy, since it fits much better with a mailbox standpoint. What would be the advantage to having it backup in the same manner as VBR?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Tim,

Some people prefer to have a backup with how the mailbox looked like at that specific restore point (including older items than the retention range). I don't think there is an advantage or disadvantage, it is more from an SLA point of view and how you agreed it with your management.

Purely from a compliance point of view, the current model fits the legislations. But as said, it is more of a preference I guess