Maintain control of your Microsoft Office 365 email data
BrunoNovo
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bruno Vander Plaetse

Retention Policy

Post by BrunoNovo » Aug 07, 2019 5:01 pm

CASE ID: 03702750
I want a backup of my whole sharepoint as it is right now.
I can put the retention time to FOREVER, but will this also clean up the backup repository from time to time?
Otherwise the repository will keep growing forever? Even deleted items will remain in the repository forever?

I saw there is an option "snapshot based", but can I restore to a full snapshot of the sharepoint at any given time with this option?
Will the sharepoint be exactly like it was on the day of the backup if I would do a full restore?

Regards,

PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Petr

Re: Retention Policy

Post by PetrM » Aug 07, 2019 5:22 pm

Hi Bruno!

Welcome to our forum!

Please find more info on our helpcenter and there is also animated version.

Please let us know if you have some questions.

Have a nice day!

Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina » Aug 07, 2019 6:04 pm 1 person likes this post

@Petr,
Those articles apply for Veeam Backup & Replication, VBO retention is bit different :)

@Bruno,
"Keep forever" policy means exactly that all data will remain in the repository as long "forever" without any cleanup. And, yes, your repository will keep growing in size upon backing up new and changed data.

With snapshot-based retention, you'll get "snapshots" of the current state of your SharePoint on every backup job run, and will be able to recover to any restore point within the retention period.

The difference between the two retention types is nicely described in VBO documentation or in the blog.

Thanks!

BrunoNovo
Novice

Post by BrunoNovo » Aug 08, 2019 7:51 am

Ok so if I take a backup every day and set the retention policy to 1 year on snapshot based, I can recover the full sharepoint to any day of that year exactly as it was that day including files that are for example 10 years old.

BrunoNovo
Novice

Post by BrunoNovo » Aug 08, 2019 8:24 am

Retention processing: During clean-up, we will remove all items belonging to snapshots of mailbox/site/folder that are older than the retention period.

This is confusing. I must be able to guarantee I can restore the full state of the sharepoint as it was on a specific day during the last year, even files that are 10 years old.
If a file is in a snapshot from 2 years ago, but is still currently in the sharepoint, I don't want it to be removed from the backup.

Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina » Aug 08, 2019 11:03 am

>> if I take a backup every day and set the retention policy to 1 year on snapshot based, I can recover the full sharepoint to any day of that year exactly as it was that day including files that are for example 10 years old.

That's correct; each "snapshot" represent a current state of the system despite the age of the files. And with the Snapshot-based retention, a cleanup occurs to "snapshots" (or restore points), not individual files inside them.

hwelvaar
Novice

Post by hwelvaar » Aug 14, 2019 6:04 am

Any insights on the diskspace used by snapshot based backups and retention processing?
I suppose first snapshot backup uses diskspace equivalent of the mailbox size. (Assume we backup just 1 mailbox)
So when next snapshot backup is run, what will be the extra diskspace Again full size? Or only delta? And is there any compression, deduplication or single-instance mechanism used?
And what happens when retention processing kicks in?

PS: there is ZERO information about this in the v.3 user manual.
Tnx for feedback.

Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina » Aug 14, 2019 9:33 am

Hi @ hwelvaar,

To estimate the first full backup size, you can use the VBO built-in PowerShell command Measure-VBOOrganizationFullBackupSize. On the next runs, VBO will only save the delta. There's no compression or deduplication in VBO, but the underlying Jet database where backups are stored natively provides some compression (about 15%).

And in this white paper, you'll find some recommendations on how to estimate the amount of daily changes using O365 portal.