Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
dcodding
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Deb Codding

Seeking documentation on Backup for Office 365

Post by dcodding »

We have Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 (Enterprise Edition). I have been tasked with researching the Backup to Office 365 component to see if it will be of benefit to our institution. We currently have Exchange on-premises and Office 365 EES to provide Sharepoint, OneDrive and Office Suite to our faculty, staff and students. Our email accounts are not handled/managed in the cloud.

So far all I have been able to find are promotional statements such as "also allows users with hybrid-cloud email deployments to easily migrate mailbox data between Office 365 and on-premises Exchange, as well as back up and manage users across both platforms" However, all how-to and more specific information/documentation addresses only Office 365 with Exchange Online.

Can anyone point me to more specific information/documentation relative to our hybrid environment?

Thank you.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Seeking documentation on Backup for Office 365

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Deb,

Welcome to the forums.

Exchange on-premises can be protected with Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5. Our Veeam Explorer for Exchange for restoring data is exactly the same for B&R 9.5 as for VBO. There is a possibility to restore the data from your exchange on-premises backup to an O365 subscription which might come in handy in the future.

In your case, in all honesty, I would say you don't need O365 today. This might change when we add functionality (there are lots of requests for SharePoint and OneDrive for Business backup) or when you migrate from Exchange On-prem to Exchange Online (or in a hybrid situation)

Hope it makes sense
Mike
dcodding
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Deb Codding

Post by dcodding »

Mike,

Thank you so much for your quick response. We will store this information and revisit the issue once we migrate to Exchange Online.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Perfect,

Feel free to post here again if you want additional information at that time.

Cheers
Mike