Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
mbraak
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: MBR

Sharepoint backup throughput

Post by mbraak »

Hi all,

Anyone more struggling with the Sharepoint backup throughput?
We have a customer with a single Sharepoint site which is approx 220GB in size.
When we try backup this site the initial Full backup takes over 2 days and an Incremental backup (with no changes) takes 20 hours.
We have tried increasing proxy threads and maximum connections to Sharepoint Online but this doesn't help because MS throttles Sharepoint traffic (which is static and cant be changed by MS)

Sofar aswell Veeam as Microsoft dont have a solution for this. So it seems to me Office 365 Sharepoint Online sites are only usable when you have very small sites.
Hope anyone has more information or solutions on this matter.

Thanks.
-MBR-
MCH_helferlein
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Peter Helfer

Re: Sharepoint backup throughput

Post by MCH_helferlein »

Same here actually... We have around 600 objects in the Sharepoint Backupjob and it's taking everytime like around 18 hours to complete....
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi all,

SharePoint backup takes time as there's no CBT mechanism in SharePoint API and the VBO engine checks objects versions in a one by one manner. The more objects are there to process, the longer time it will take. To speed up the process, it can be helpful to split big jobs into smaller ones.
SharePoint processing is currently a common concern and we're investigating the ways to enhance it.
mbraak
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: MBR

Post by mbraak »

I indeed saw VBO is checking all the objects sequentially. I do think this is the main cause of the slowness.
In my opinion this should be at least multi threaded to use at least the available CPU power to enumerate all objects.
-MBR-
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

@mbraak,

The processing is a multi-thread already, and the number of threads can be adjusted in the backup proxy properties.