Maintain control of your Microsoft Office 365 email data
Unison
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Gav

Sharepoint Online Backups are SLOW

Post by Unison » Aug 29, 2019 3:34 am

Hi guys,
we are trialing Veeam Backup for o365 for a client - we have deployed VeeamBackup for o365 using the Veeam/Azure Marketplace system for o365 - i.e. VM that has Veeam for o365 already installed ready to go.
We setup a job for exchange a job for onedrive and a job for sharepoint - kicked it off and walked away.

the initial jobs completed fine over the weekend.

Problem is, we are now trying to run incremental - but the Sharepoint job is taking forever! last run it took just under 24hrs and there was only a few hundred MB change across the entire Sharepoint site (o365 usage reports show there was barely any data change between job runs!).
The sharepoint site in total only has 80gig and about 20,000 files in it - so not really that massive.

Of course i started searching on this and found quite a few reports of SLOW Sharepoint backups - even some suggestions that this slowness was resolved with V3.....but we are on V3.0.0.422 - and definitely seeing this slowness problem.

We are thinking of Splitting the sharepoint job as has been suggested in order to reduce the chance of MSFT throttling - but i suspect that the throttle will happen for one half/some of the splits anyway....not really solving the problem.

As this is a TRIAL - i cant log a support job so cant list a support ticket - but was hoping some of the 'Greens' can chime in here to advise if there is anything that can be done to improve sharepoint backup - if anything has been worked out yet with MSFT to solve the throttling problem for backup operations?

Sharepoint backups for this customer is obviously a big deal - if it is near impossible to backup with Veeam or requires the Azure resources to be powered on permanently generating $$$$$ Azure costs - then i dont think we will stick with Veeam for this and will have to look at other backup solutions - unless other solutions are all plagued with this same sharepoint problem?

Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 118 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Sharepoint Online Backups are SLOW

Post by Polina » Aug 29, 2019 9:09 am

Hi Gav,

First, can you check if there're any SharePoint/OneDrive libraries with more than 5000 items in them?
Next, even if you're using a Community Edition, you can open a support case. Please share your case ID here and we'll provide you a fix.

Thanks!

Unison
Enthusiast

Post by Unison » Aug 29, 2019 10:47 pm

Hey Polina,
my post above was quite long/detailed so its understandable you missed the bit where i mentioned that the sharepoint account has about 20,000 files in it and is about 80 gig in size......MOST of those 20k files and 80GIG data is inside a single site.
There are several other sites but most of those only have a few hundred MB worth of data in them.
So the main problem is the single site that has about 20k files in it and most of the 80gig.

Ok will attempt to create a support ticket against this trial product and post the ID here - but will also standby for anything you can provide to try or to confirm this is not something that can be resolved.

Unison
Enthusiast

Post by Unison » Aug 29, 2019 11:12 pm

Support case created:
Case #03740054

Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina » Aug 30, 2019 10:39 am

Hi Gav,

Thank you for providing the case ID number; support engineers will contact you shortly.

My question was to drill down into a bit more detailed information and to check if in that site of 20k were any libraries containing 5k+ of items. In the build 3.0.0.422, there was a bug in the processing of such libraries (parts of a site), which caused sluggishness of incremental jobs.

Unison
Enthusiast

Post by Unison » Sep 01, 2019 10:53 pm

Hi Polina,
is there a fix/patch for that bug in .422? Support have not advised of a bug/fix - wondering if you can provide that or workaround/more details?

Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina » Sep 02, 2019 9:52 am

Hi Gav,

The patch provided to you by the support engineer already includes all the required fixes.
How much time did your incremental job take after applying the patch?

Unison
Enthusiast

Post by Unison » Sep 02, 2019 11:42 pm

Hi Polina,
the incremental jobs seem to now be taking about 40mins - up to 1.5hrs......which doesn't seem that long but these are job runs where there was only a few MB transferred in total....so basically nothing changed but still takes around 1hr to complete - and the processing rate shown is in the KB space - sometimes only showing a processing rate like 3kb for an entire incremental run (hence taking an hr to complete due to the slow rate).
I have sent the job logs to support as they requested those so will see if they find anything from that.

However this being our first experience with Veeams Backup for o365 product - so far the seemingly very slow performance issues are going to make it difficult to recommend or deploy for other sites.
Is Veeam looking to establish a mechanism with Microsoft so that the Veeam product can backup the tenant data without any throttling - seems that would be the only solution to these kinds of issues.