Maintain control of your Microsoft Office 365 email data
agrob
Expert
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Andre

VBO 3.0 Upgrade Repository

Post by agrob » Apr 10, 2019 11:26 am

Good Day

Just upgraded VBO 2.x to 3.0 this morning. As in the release notes described, i need to upgrade the Repository. I have 3 Repositories. The biggest one with over 3TB is for Exchange Backup. Upgrade took about 30 minutes. Second repository is about 400GB and is used for Sharepoint Backup. This upgrade is running now for about 3-4hours and still running. Gui shows 10% complete. Also the update did use about 30GB of extra diskspace until now (and still using more and more of the free disk space). I leave it running until complete, but i wondering if this is really normal? (havent read about that in the relase notes, or have i missed something)

I also got this messag when i did try to update sharepoint backup job
<Backup Job Name> Unable to identify the template of some sites (see logs for details). Personal sites exclusion can work incorrectly after this upgrade. Consider job reconfiguration.
When i go to this Backup job and go to the selection list and click "add" after some seconds i get the message "Exception has been thronw by the garget of an invocation". Could those two "error" message related to the fact that the repo is still in the upgrade process?

Repo Volumes are located on a NAS (8x4TB Disk, connected over iSCSI over 10Gbit LAN)

Thanks

nielsengelen
Veeam Software
Liked: 510 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: VBO 3.0 Upgrade Repository

Post by nielsengelen » Apr 10, 2019 11:34 am

Database upgrades can take some time and therefore I suggest to wait until everything has finished before adjusting jobs and settings. Once it has finished, please try to update the job again and if you keep getting the Exception error, please contact support.
VCP-DCV
Veeam Certified Architect (VMCA)
http://foonet.be

agrob
Expert

Post by agrob » Apr 10, 2019 11:41 am 1 person likes this post

Thanks Niels. I'll wait for the upgrade until it is complete. Maybe it would be a good idea to mention that the upgrade can take hours and that it can need a bigger amount from free space somewhere in the release notes... (at least i havent seen it in the notes)

Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 88 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina » Apr 10, 2019 11:58 am

Andre,

It takes more time to upgrade SharePoint databases because of the numerous changes introduced in v3 for storing and processing SharePoint items. Databases are upgraded consequently year by year, and those with many smaller items will take more time to be upgraded (see your 10% progress), while others could be updated much quicker.

Next, the "Unable to identify the template of some sites" warning is thrown, when VBO is not able to automatically identify if a site in a job is personal (i.e. based on a template for personal sites) or not. Remember that in v3, it's now possible to select or exclude personal sites via a personal sites node, and this drives the need for sites templates verification. To fix this, all you need is to edit the job and re-add these failed sites again.

agrob
Expert

Post by agrob » Apr 10, 2019 12:08 pm

Thanks Polina

About the Error: If i edit the job, go to the slection list and click "add" the window is opening which list me all the available sites. I get the other error bevor the list is complete and therefore i cant select anything... The same happens if i try to create a new job. Anyway, i'll wait until the upgrade is complete and try again. if it still fails i'll update the post here

agrob
Expert

Post by agrob » Apr 10, 2019 1:07 pm

Ok, i really shoud have been more patient...

Error "Exception has been thrown by the garget of an invocation" when editing the job is gone now. It is really necessary to update the repos first after upgrade. If repo upgrade is finished, then update or edit existing backup jobs. otherwise you will get the error described above.
Repository update for sharepoint Backup job (about 500GB of Sharepoint Data) took about 5-6 hours. So if you do an update plan enough time for the repo updates and also make sure you have enough free disk space.

Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina » Apr 10, 2019 2:19 pm

Andre,

Thanks for getting back on this. I'm sure the information will be useful for others who upgrade to 3.0.
"Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation" is not specific to VBO, but nevertheless I'll ask our developers to inspect it.

m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli » Apr 17, 2019 4:18 pm

agrob wrote:
Apr 10, 2019 11:41 am
Thanks Niels. I'll wait for the upgrade until it is complete. Maybe it would be a good idea to mention that the upgrade can take hours and that it can need a bigger amount from free space somewhere in the release notes... (at least i havent seen it in the notes)
Yes, this is an important info that has been skipped in release notes of VBO 3.0 :-/

Ciao

Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina » Apr 18, 2019 9:52 am

Good point, Marco. We'll update the RN doc