Veeam for Office 365 and Two Factor?

Maintain control of your Microsoft Office 365 email data

Re: Veeam for Office 365 and Two Factor?

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:52 pm

No news Michael at this moment
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 467 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby stvajnkf » Fri May 04, 2018 7:28 pm

I am currently using the competing product CodeTwo Backup for Office 365. I am comparing features with Veeam, and this feature is one of the few that CodeTwo has you beat. CodeTwo has had 2FA since Jan 29 2018. Can you share an estimated timeline for when this feature will be ready in Veeam backup for 365?

Thanks.
stvajnkf
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: nothanks@no.com

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon May 07, 2018 7:35 am

I have no timeline for this at this moment. But how do you do this for the account that connects as a service? Does it also use 2FA?
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...

Veeam Logoby stvajnkf » Mon May 07, 2018 7:50 pm

Mike Resseler wrote:I have no timeline for this at this moment. But how do you do this for the account that connects as a service? Does it also use 2FA?

I don't understand the question. I think the actual Office 365 admin credentials that CodeTwo uses to backup all our Office 365 accounts can have 2FA enabled in Office 365. Then in the backup program, instead of typing that user's normal 365 password, we would type the user's generated "app password". The benefit is that the actual admin password doesn't have to be stored anywhere in a 3rd party program, and the obvious benefits of 2FA on the website login.

The details are here: https://www.codetwo.com/kb/using-mfa-with-codetwo-software/

I actually don't use the 2FA feature yet, but I recently started looking at improving the security of our Office365 account, and that's when I learned that Veeam now has a Office365 backup program. I started comparing the feature list of both programs, and found that this 2FA is something I would like to start using, but can't if I switch to Veeam.
stvajnkf
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: nothanks@no.com

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue May 08, 2018 7:15 am

Thanks for the additional information. As said, I won't have this in the next version but the additional information is interesting for me to dive into further. In all honesty, 2FA for me makes sense for users, but I am not too familiar (yet ;-)) with app passwords and their security. Something to learn about :-)
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby frankive » Wed May 16, 2018 11:18 am

"app passwords" is just a buypass of the 2fa and is NOT something you want to use. In that case Veeam (and all other clients wo can connect to an exchange account) does support MFA, which is not the case..

What you should do is buy Azure Ad Premium so you can use more advanced capabilites of the MFA like whitelite on your wan-ip. Then you can whitelist the ip where the backup is starting their connection, f.ex you Office 365 Backup server.

Just my 2 cents.
frankive
Service Provider

Liked: 99 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365