Veeam for Office 365 and Two Factor?

Maintain control of your Microsoft Office 365 email data

Veeam for Office 365 and Two Factor?

Veeam Logoby postmaal » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:13 pm

We currently use two factor for Office 365. If I turn two factor off I am able to use my credentials to continue setting it up. If I try and use my regular login credentials, I cannot get past Connect to EWS, If I use an app password I get past Connect to EWS but fail connecting to powershell as "App Passwords are not available for use with PowerShell access to Office 365". Any suggestions?

Thanks,
postmaal
Influencer

Liked: 2 times

Re: Veeam for Office 365 and Two Factor?

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:02 am

Hi,

Can you create a special user that doesn't need to use two factor authentication? Like a global user that will be used for this solution?

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 384 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby postmaal » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:51 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Mike,

We do use a non two-factor user for powershell as Microsoft, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't allow multi-factor auth with power shell sessions. Since it appears veeam leverages powershell to connect to 365 I'm going to have to use that same user for the backups. I don't like it but I can live with it and rely on a strict password. I'm beginning to realize this isn't a veeam issue but instead of Microsoft one. It does seem backwards to me that the powershell admin user (one who has access to everything) isn't allowed multi-factor authentication. I also don't like giving up such passwords to 3rd party applications.
postmaal
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:41 pm

Hi,

I can understand, but as you said yourself... This is something we can't control. Please let us know if this works. From our side, we will ask (but not for v1 anymore) Microsoft to see if this is something that can be solved.
For your information, your password and user is stored encrypted in our solution.

Cheers
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...

Veeam Logoby postmaal » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:30 pm 1 person likes this post

I was able to set it up with a non two-factor user. Overall fairly impressed playing around with the beta. Looking forward to the release.

Thanks,
Alex
postmaal
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:03 pm

Hi Alex,

Thanks for coming back to us. Appreciated!

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby mcz » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:58 pm

Mike Resseler wrote:From our side, we will ask (but not for v1 anymore) Microsoft to see if this is something that can be solved.

Mike, have you been able to contact Microsoft, what did they say? We have the same situation here that we would like to enable MFA but of course this would break our backup solution...
mcz
Enthusiast

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Michael

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:19 am

Hi Michael,

I never received reaction on my request but non-officially I was informed that this is not on the roadmap for them.

Sorry
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby mcz » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:25 am

Honestly I am surprised that Microsoft doesn't care about this topic because you will never be able to use MFA for this specific user - we are talking about security.

Anyway, thank you for this information and I will try to run veeam backup with a seperate user.
mcz
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby mcz » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:50 pm

surprise, surprise. Switched on MFA for the admin and realized that powershell doesn't work anymore - it tells you "access denied" and using the app-password bringts you the message "app-password not allowed using powershell".
I found an article about powershell & MFA - so Microsoft supports MFA & powershell:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt775114(v=exchg.160).aspx

Now I think that you can start to implement powershell & MFA in veeam??
mcz
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:13 pm

Thanks for the information, it looks like some things recently have changed in that document. We will certainly investigate, but I am not going to make any promises at this moment.
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby mcz » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:14 am

Yeah Mike of course, I know that any promises will be difficult and maybe unrealistic. But it would be nice to hear anything from you when it has been decided if it will be implementet in future releases. Thank you!
mcz
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:57 am 1 person likes this post

Understood. I can say one thing for certain (unfortunately), the next minor version (1.5) won't support this as we are already in feature lock. But we will discuss it for our next major version
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby boris.bahes » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:52 am

Mike Resseler wrote:Understood. I can say one thing for certain (unfortunately), the next minor version (1.5) won't support this as we are already in feature lock. But we will discuss it for our next major version

Discuss it? Seriously? I expect from Veeam, something like, Q4 2017 or Q1 2018.
boris.bahes
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Boris Bahes

Veeam Logoby mcz » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:22 am

Mike Resseler wrote:Understood. I can say one thing for certain (unfortunately), the next minor version (1.5) won't support this as we are already in feature lock. But we will discuss it for our next major version

Mike, now since version 1.5 is available I guess the roadmap for the next release has been already discussed. Are there any news regarding MFA?
mcz
Enthusiast

Next

Return to Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365