Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Nevermore696
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex

Veeam server backup

Post by Nevermore696 »

Good afternoon guys,

I was wondering what is the process in case the Veeam server won't load again (for example hardware or OS issue)? We store the backup on S3, but it's encrypted.
The guide said that backup encrypted with a random key from Local System account + we added our own password to that, so I'm not sure that if we deploy a new Veeam server we will be able to restore the backup as far as Local System account will be absolutely different, right? Will we be able to use restore backups and add new incremental backups to the same repositories?
Maybe we can backup some configuration files to avoid issues like that?
If I missed an article described this situation, please send me a link.

Thank you in advance!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam server backup

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
just to clarify: How do you backup your Veeam Backup for Office 365 (VBO) server? Are you are doing a full image backup of the VBO machine?

Image backup is the easiest way, as you would not deploy a new Veeam server. You just restore the full machine.
if we deploy a new Veeam server we will be able to restore the backup as far as Local System account will be absolutely different, right?
If you reinstall everything, then you need to re-enter the credentials.

In general, it's similar like a migration described in https://www.veeam.com/kb2649

Best regards,
Hannes
Nevermore696
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex

Re: Veeam server backup

Post by Nevermore696 »

Thank you, Hannes,

I'll take a look at the article.
Have a great holiday!