Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
matsholm
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mats Holm

What are you using as repository for O365 backups?

Post by matsholm »

Hi all
Have a customer that is looking into veeam O365 solution for around 6000 users (5 TB) in O365 and we need to set up aworking environment for them.
Thay use Veeam today and uses HPE StoreOnce as repositories for every site and as backup copy in central site and I realize that veeam O365 solution is not working wit StoreOnce repos.
We plan to have a VM for backup server in central site but as it seems now they need to have a local vdisk och rdm presented to this server and create repo on that. Can't seem to find sp much information around compression nad/or dedup for a repository in O365 solution so I guess it's not there....
Do I have to set up a +5 TB disk to store all data on and if so how much will it grow over time?
Is there any plan to change this behavouir since I find it a little bit bad when a customer already have a good solution with Veeam.

//mats
matsholm
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mats Holm

Re: What are you using as repository for O365 backups?

Post by matsholm »

Is it supported to set up against CIFS share on StoreOnce with deduplication enabled?
I have successfully edited the location of Repository to a AD enabled CIFS share on one StoreOnce and the Veeam service is started with an account with all permissions on that folder (along with the computer account of the veeam server) but I don't see any files being created on this share (as in local repository).
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: What are you using as repository for O365 backups?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Mats,

Please note that the data of a O365 backup is not the same as a backup of VBR. The data is stored in an online database (Jet DB) and not stored as passive files.

What is currently supported as a repository is:

- Local (internal) folder of the backup server (default target).
- Direct Attached Storage (DAS), connected to the backup server, including external USB/eSATA drives and raw device mapping (RDM) volumes.
- Storage Area Network (SAN); backup server must be connected to the SAN fabric via hardware or virtual HBA, or software iSCSI initiator.
- SMB 3.0 share (experimental support); backup server’s computer account must have write permissions on the network share.

Cheers
Mike