When will hybrid archive mailboxes be supported?

Maintain control of your Microsoft Office 365 email data

When will hybrid archive mailboxes be supported?

Veeam Logoby pesos » Thu May 11, 2017 2:10 am

Hi all,

We have a number of Exchange 2016/Exchange Online Hybrid organizations we manage where the primary mailboxes are on-prem backed up by Veeam B&R and the archive mailboxes are in the cloud.

Veeam o365 backup isn't able to back up these archive mailboxes because it appears to be designed to look for primary mailboxes only and then add in any existing archive mailboxes as an afterthought if the primary mailbox happens to have one attached to it.

Can this design flaw be remedied so that Veeam can properly see and target cloud archive mailboxes that have an on-prem primary?

Thanks!
pesos
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: John Johnson

Re: When will hybrid archive mailboxes be supported?

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu May 11, 2017 4:14 am

Hi John,

This feature request has been tracked already. Soon we will talk about some new things in 0365 coming (hint: Next week we seem to have a big event ;-)). I can't however guarantee that this feature request will already make the next version but we are working hard to get all of the requests in the solution
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby jshapiro » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:56 pm

I would like to 2nd that feature request for hybrid support. We have about 400 mailboxes. I've moved only the archive mailboxes to O365 so far. The primary mailboxes remain on prem. This works out well for us, because we can use Microsoft's datacenters to hold the larger, seldom-accessed archives while we continue to run Exchange on prem. Although we eventually plan to move the primary mailboxes over too, vertical applications (either homegrown or 3rd party) currently prevent us for fully migrating. While the hybrid mailbox config has been beneficial to us, it is nearly impossible to get archive data out at this time. So I would love it if a tool such as yours could help us out.
jshapiro
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Jonathan Shapiro

Veeam Logoby Kostya » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:42 pm

Hi all,

Hybrid is fully supported in v1.5 BETA:
https://go.veeam.com/beta-backup-office-365
Kostya
Veeam Software

Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Kostya Yasyuk

Veeam Logoby jshapiro » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:44 pm

Thanks for the quick response on this. I downloaded the beta and installed it, but I'm having trouble making the connection to the on-prem Exchange. It fails one or more tests depending upon what name I input for the server and whether I enforce SSL. Here's one error:

Connecting to remote server failed with the following error message: The WinRM client cannot process the request.

The authentication mechanism requested by the client is not supported by the server or unencrypted traffic is disabled in the service configuration. Verify the unencrypted traffic setting in the service configuration or specify one of the authentication mechanisms supported by the server. To use Kerberos, specify the computer name as the remote destination.......

[it is a rather wordy alert box that I cannot try to fully reproduce]

Any suggestions on what I can do?
jshapiro
Influencer

Veeam Logoby frankive » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:14 pm

will it be possible to upgrade the beta to GA?
frankive
Service Provider

Liked: 86 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Veeam Logoby jmmarton » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:15 pm

No.
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Liked: 89 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:11 am

@Frankive Beta will indeed not be upgradeable to GA. (I think that is what Joe answered :-)). We are looking however for a way so you can keep the already downloaded data (but certainly not a promise...)
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:16 am

@jshapiro

Are you using the EWS connection to your on-prem organization? If you are, please start by using SSL, and then select the 3 checkboxes (skip...). If you have again an error, it probably means that the configuration of your exchange does not support that a 3rd party tool connects to EWS.
If not, please let us know so we can investigate logs further

Thanks
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby jshapiro » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:15 pm

When I enable SSL and check the 3 boxes, I get the following alerts if I use the public DNS name for my Exchange Server:

For Connect to EWS: Success
For Connect to PowerShell: Connecting to remote server [servername] failed with the following error message: The WinRM client cannot process the request. The authentication mechanism requested by the client is not supported by the server or unencrypted traffic is disabled in the services configuration......
jshapiro
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:19 pm

Jonathan,

Did you ran I ran enable-PsRemoting powershell command on the exchange server that you are connecting to?
What authentication mechanisms do you have enabled on that server?
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby jshapiro » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:25 pm

I just re-ran enable-PSRemoting, and it had been enabled already, and things didn't improve.

When you say what authentication mechanisms, could you clarify what you want me to check? Is it a connector?
jshapiro
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:34 pm

I believe you have to enable Basic authentication on the virtual folder in IIS
Also, in what format are you logging on? user@domainname.extension?
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby jshapiro » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:49 pm

I was inputting credential: domain\username

For IIS, could your clarify which folder to enable basic authentication? Is it the server, Default Site, EWS, etc.?
jshapiro
Influencer

Veeam Logoby jshapiro » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:54 pm

I assumed you meant basic authentication for the Powershell folder. I enabled that, and I had more success. Now a whole bunch more verifications occurred, and I see that I must configure impersonation for the on prem account and it also is warning that Throttling policy is not configured.
jshapiro
Influencer

Next

Return to Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365