Maintain control of your Microsoft Office 365 email data
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times

wil my mailbox be backed up or deleted ? thats the question

Post by lowlander » Mar 18, 2018 6:54 am

Hi,

we added a o365 organization in VBO365 management interface. After starting the backup job we receive some warning messages in the managment console of Veeam Backup for Office 365 that several user mailboxes complain they don't have a O365 license. Is this just a warning message or will these mailboxes being skipped during the backup cycle ?

Another question, when you delete a user with corresponding mailbox in O365 my Assumtion is that you can restore this mailbox from the Veeam Backup for Office 365 environment, not related to the available licenses on Veeam or O365 site ?

thanks !

Mike Resseler
Veeam Software
Liked: 498 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: wil my mailbox be backed up or deleted ? thats the quest

Post by Mike Resseler » Mar 19, 2018 6:59 am 1 person likes this post

Hi Lowlander,

It depends. The issue with non-licensed mailboxes in O365 mostly means that we can't do a backup anymore, because the API connections to that mailbox are blocked when there is no license anymore. We did notice however that sometimes due to something within your tenant you get this notification although afterwards it works again. But if you have removed the license from the user, then it will be indeed skipped.

For the deletion: Yes, we won't delete it from the backup. You can keep it in the repository but it will follow the retention. Some customers tell me that they take a PST backup of a deleted user and store it somewhere (in a vault or something like that) for a longer period "just in case". Obviously, because that user doesn't exist anymore, the VBO license for that user will become free after 31 days (to be used for another user) but even after those 31 days we won't delete the data from the repository.

Makes sense?

M/