Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
jbrown3455
Lurker
Liked: never

Any way to verify retention is being applied?

Post by jbrown3455 »

I am currently trialing Veeam for o365, version 3.0.0.422

I have imported a few users' emails and am trying to apply a retention policy, but it doesn't appear to be working.
I'm looking for log files or something to try and figure out why it's not applying.

I clearly have email in the repository that is older than my retention settings.
Support is trying to tell me that it's because the containing folder(s) have a newer modified date, and Veeam isn't going off of date received on the individual email.

This seems backwards to me, and that Veeam should be ignoring the folder and only looking at the email.

The repository is set up as item-level and the policy should be applied daily.

Am I misunderstanding what's supposed to be happening here?
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Any way to verify retention is being applied?

Post by Polina »

Welcome to the community, @jbrown!

First, could you please share your support case ID? It will help to get more details on your case and the investigation.

Next, Item-level retention is applied to items according to their modification date - that's correct. However, when you're importing items, their modification date is changing accordingly.

To check the actual item modification date, you can use the Compare Item properties option in Veeam Explorer -> PidTagLastModificationTime. Make sure that 'Show unchanged properties' and 'Show system properties' are selected:
jbrown3455
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by jbrown3455 »

Thank you for replying. My case # is 03522197

I ran a compare as you suggested on one specific email. The PidTagLastModificationTime shows a date of '7/11/2017'.
This would coincide with when we migrated our email to Office 365.

So I guess that explains it, but is there any way to work around this?
This is a problem for me if the only date I can work with in repositories is 7/11/2017, and it's a bit too late to go back and blame the migration software.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

I'm afraid there's not much we can do to resolve this, as VBO by design only checks the last modification time with this type of retention. However, let me double check with our engineers if any workaround is possible.