Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Robvil
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Robert

Asked before and i am asking again

Post by Robvil »

Hi,

Are there any plans to change how to retain data in our repository instead of the current model?
To be honest the current way works very bad for me.

/Robert
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Asked before and i am asking again

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Robert,

While I'll leave the comments related to upcoming plans to the PM for this product, I am quite interested why the existing retention logic does not work for your environment. Can you please elaborate the drawbacks from your point of view? Thank you in advance.
Robvil
Expert

Post by Robvil »

We need to have a backup of every data bit, but not all deleted items forever. Currently we backup all exchange data and retension is set to forever as this is the only way, we can have backup of old data.
We have data going many years back which has to been retained, but if the data gets deleted, we don´t need to save those data forever - more likely 6 to 12 month.
A retension scheme like B&R would be so much better.

Same point for Sharepoint data and Onedrive.

What if a mailbox got hit by a ransomeware - then a complete restore is nessesary - and currently only retain forever solves this. Just a exampel. Many things can go very wrong.
Currently i have managed to get our exchange data to a total of 400GB from 550GB, but in 2½ years the repository size is 2.9TB and currently we see a increase of data going nots. Many of those bits becomes deleted data which we have no use of saving after maximum 12 month.

We where running AvePoint at some stage and here we could set retension times like we know from "normal" backup products.

Our policy is to have all of our own data from the cloud and local hosting providers as a minimum 3. backup repository at our own facilities. Hosting and cloud can be a good choice, but in the end, it is our data and our responsibility.
We have seen it before - even with big companies - loosing data even though they say, they will never loose data. Just look at AWS, Microsoft, LinkedIn, Meraki ... and i can go on.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Robert,
in the end, it is our data and our responsibility.
We have seen it before - even with big companies - loosing data even though they say, they will never loose data. Just look at AWS, Microsoft, LinkedIn, Meraki ... and i can go on.
That's true. And VBO has been designed to become a part of the 3-2-1 backup plans (and is evolving).

The retention topic is currently in the discussion (as there are both pros and cons) and let me assure you that your feedback on retention handling is appreciated and counted.
We where running AvePoint at some stage and here we could set retension times like we know from "normal" backup products.
If I may ask, why did you decide to switch from it?
Robvil
Expert

Post by Robvil »

at the time we where testing AvePoint their O365 exchange backup was still, what i call version 0.5, and there was some issues. But there Sharepoint worked perfect, but at that time, we where not using sharepoint.
They have excellent support, and we where allocated a dedicated suppoort person, and often developers fixed issues over night or in a couple of days, but in the end, we decided to wait until they had a working O365 exchange backup product.

They very much wonted us as a reference customer, so the license price was very low, but what good is that, if the product is not woking nearly flawless.

In the mean time Veeam came along with VBO ... and the rest is story.
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Robert,

Thank you for this feedback and for your input in making VBO better by reporting on its current issues. As I can see, your VBO support cases are resolved now, and looking further I hope that VBO will "Just work" and help you to protect the data in the best possible way.
Robvil
Expert

Post by Robvil »

Yes, great service again. Don´t know if the issue with VBO mailbox backup also takes Team sites backup when only selecting mail, is a Veeam or Microsoft bug. But support ended up excluded the Team groups even though they where not selected for backup in the first place.
Robvil
Expert

Post by Robvil »

I spoke too soon - just opened a new case 03172012 referring to my ealier case 03159609.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Robert,

My apologies for the late reply. I believe I have an easy fix for this. (If I understood the issue correctly at least)

When you are on the exclude page (see here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=20) you will see something similar as in our help documentation, but in your case it will display the teams site. You will also see type "O365 group" and "exclude "ALL". Click on the team group, select the edit button and in the "EDIT PROCESSING OPTIONS" window that will pop-up, deselect "Members". That should make sure that the members in that group their email are being protected. If not, let me know because then I need to escalate to DEV team.

PS: If this solves the issue, please DM me because I would like to ask you a few questions around your experience with this. There are a few things I saw which I didn't like and I want to solve it (again, this is if I understood the issue correctly)

Thanks
Mike
Robvil
Expert

Post by Robvil »

Mike,

Since upgrading to 2.0 i was getting errors with my Team Sites account during backup, but then last night the error stopped.Instead i am now gettings GUID mismatch on a archive mailbox.
Veeam is getting/fething the wrong GUID, but powershell shows the correct GUID. How come Powershell always shows the "correct" values, but Veeam seems to think different?

I guess your provided solution would work, if we excluded Members from the GROUP, we would exclude - but that option is hidden well away, if you ask me.
Robvil
Expert

Post by Robvil »

Anyway - tried read case 03172012 and tell me, if your support get my issue?
I do not think they read, what we are writing.
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Robert,

I'm on your case together with our support. We'll take a closer look at the issue and escalate it to the dev team if needed. Please feel free to PM me at any time for updates.
Robvil
Expert

Post by Robvil »

Thanks