Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
wileywimberly
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Wiley Wimberly

avoid SharePoint admin role check?

Post by wileywimberly »

Hi,

With the introduction of SharePoint and OneDrive support in version 2, there is now a check for the SharePoint admin role when adding a new organization.
Is there any way to avoid this check? As a service provider it is hard to justify requiring sharepoint admin if the tenant only wants to archive exchange mailboxes.

I opened case 03130616 and was told that this check is now a requirement. They recommended posting here with a feature request or to see if anyone has a way to circumvent the SharePoint admin role requirement.

Ideally it would warn but still allow us to add the org without these permissions. Archiving SharePoint and OneDrive wouldn't work unless they were added obviously, but exchange archiving should.

Thanks!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: avoid SharePoint admin role check?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Wiley,

I have received that feature request and asked the team to look into it.

Cheers
Mike
skate88
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by skate88 »

hi
i encountered the same problem
we backup just exchange data, i configured the job not to backup sharepoint or onedrive.
i tried removing the permisson AFTER setting up the job, and the job will not run

please consider changing this
with exchange you can assign the specific permissions needed, rather than the administrator roles...
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi skate88,

We are not only considering making changes for the next update, but planning them ;-). But for the moment, the only workaround is to add that role. Sorry about that
Mike