arestas
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: arestas

Backup O365 concerns

Post by arestas »

Hello all,

I have veeam backup onprem infra.
We are thinking on doing o365 backups also using veeam.

At moment we have some concerns that i hope someone in this forum can help with.
Iam not an O365 expert, but i assume that backing up O365 to onprem will be expensive since we will download data and Microsoft will charge us some good $$ for that.

What alternatives do we have? Use a VM in azure (as veeam proxie) and a azure storage will help with it?
What architetures people that is doing O365 backup is currently using?

Any help is welcome.

Regards,
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 289 times
Full Name: Max

Re: Backup O365 concerns

Post by Regnor » 2 people like this post

Microsoft won't charge you anything for downloading your data. It could happen that they limit the available bandwidth for a certain time, but that's all.

Where you place your backups and the VBO server depends on your requirements; on-premise, azure or a Veeam cloud service provider are possible options.
arestas
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: arestas

Post by arestas » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

Thanks for your awnser Regnor.

So, if i understood correctly i can place my backups anywhere, since MCST doesnt charge for downloading data. (is there any official documentation with this info?)

Also, we are thinking on placing ou VBO server on the same server as the VBR server (onprem).
Is there any list with pros and cons of placing the VBO on prem versun on cloud (same for storage)

Regards.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 2 people like this post

Correct,

The way we do the backups can be compared with the way you "download" your emails or view SharePoint Online, OneDrive 4 Business... They don't charge you for that either. So yes, no additional costs

There is not specifically a list of pro's and con's for placing VBO on-prem or on the cloud. It really matters on your experience with cloud services, what the goals of your environment is on-prem (grow/ stable/ less on-prem) and the storage.

For example, I believe object storage is the better solution for VBO workloads (especially if you are rather large), but not everyone has object storage on-prem which means that going to the cloud sometimes is a better idea.

@Regnor Thanks for your help here! Really appreciated!