Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Sandywell
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andy Sanwell

Backup of O365 users

Post by Sandywell »

Case #04705901
Hi, I am trying out VBO365 for the first time for my company.
I have setup VBO365 to run on a Windows Server 2019 VM and configured it to run using modern app-only authentication.
As far as I can tell, the permissions are all ok but when I run a backup I get "Failed to retrieve licenses for 7 users" which of course, are the main users of the system, so their email isn't backed up.
Shared email boxes seem fine as are Teams, etc.
It feels like an authentication issue to me but I can't see what is going wrong.
The MS licences are "Microsoft 365 Business Standard".

I tried another backup on the specific users in question and that failed too.
I'm using the Community Edition but my understanding is that it should cover the 7 active users I have.
I don't think I need to assign users licences do I?
Any ideas?

Cheers,
Sandy
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Backup of O365 users

Post by Polina »

Hi Sandy,

With Community Edition, you can protect up to 10 users. And typically this warning means that you exceeded the number of available VBO licenses. In such a case, some of the mailboxes/OneDrives/personal sites might be skipped from the backup.

You can get the list of users who consume a license with PowerShell (use the Get-VBOLicensedUser cmdlet).

Thanks!
Sandywell
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andy Sanwell

Post by Sandywell »

Hi Polina,

Thanks for your reply.
In this AAD I have 7 users that have O365 licences. There are a number of guests and some old deactivated accounts but my understanding is that it is only the O365 licenced accounts that matter. In any case, no user accounts are being backed up whether they are O365, deactivated or guest. Somehow VBO knows it needs to handle 7 users (hence the error message) but doesn't find the licences.

Get-VBOLicensedUser shows me the Id / Name / Type regarding the organisation but shows nothing to do with specific users to which it returns a blank.

Sandy
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Sandy,

To get the correct output, please execute both lines from the script provided in the example:

Code: Select all

$org = Get-VBOOrganization -Name "yourOrganizationName.onmicrosoft.com"
Get-VBOLicensedUser -Organization $org
If everything goes well, you should see a UserName / LastBackupDate / LicenseState / OrganizationName, which gives a list of all users in a tenant who consume VBO licenses.