Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
westinbuilding
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Nick Su

Backup Office 365 content to Cloud Provider

Post by westinbuilding »

Hi.

We have two offices. Office #1 has on-prem Exchange servers. We backup them up (Veeam B&R) onto a local server, then push the content to a Cloud Connect Service Provider.

Office #2 has Office 365. I have used a spare computer, setup Veeam Backup for Office 365 and backed up the content locally...

My question is, how do I push the backup content of Office #2 to the same Cloud Connect Service Provider? What does the license look like for this?

Thanks for reading and suggestions.
anthonyspiteri79
Veeam Software
Liked: 207 times
Full Name: Anthony Spiteri

Re: Backup Office 365 content to Cloud Provider

Post by anthonyspiteri79 »

Hey there Nick.

At the moment there is no direct path to send VBO backups directly to Cloud Connect. To achieve this in your scenario above, you would need to have Office#1 and Office#2 talking to each other via some form of network connectivity and then backup the VBO Repository VM with Backup & Replication. You can either do a direct to Cloud Connect Backup job or do a Backup Copy Job which will result in a local + offsite copy of the VM.
Anthony Spiteri
Regional CTO APJ & Lead Cloud and Service Provider Technologist
Email: anthony.spiteri@veeam.com
Twitter: @anthonyspiteri
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Nick,

Because Office365 has data already in the cloud, backup to a service provider is seen as backup from O365 straight to the service provider without passing your premises. But you are protecting the data first on-prem. Are you interested in such a scenario? (Anthony is right that you can deploy our solution in a VM and then sent that VM to the VCSP just like you do with the VMs from #office1. Because Veeam B&R knows that this VM is a VBO (Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365) VM it will give you item-level recovery from that backup also (without the need to recover the VM entirely).

Makes sense?

Cheers
Mike
westinbuilding
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Nick Su

Post by westinbuilding »

sorry, Anthony, I am not sure where's "VBO Repository VM" come from? I am pulling down the backup from Office 365 directly on a spare PC...but I understand that you are saying that I need to pull the backup content from Office #2 to Office #1 and then push everything to Cloud Connect.

Mike, to me, it seems your first sentence contradicts what Anthony says..."backup to a service provider is seen as backup from O365 straight to the service provider without passing your premises"...are you saying it's possible to backup directly from Office 365 to Cloud Connect? If so, I am willing to have two backup jobs, one from Office 365 to Cloud connect, the other from Office 365 to a local computer.

I do appreciate all the insight.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Nick,

Cloud connect is not used in this case actually. In the scenario backup from O365 to service provider, the data does not pass your premises. If that is the scenario you need, then I would advice to have VBO (Veeam backup for Microsoft Office 365) installed on a VM on your side, and use cloud connect to backup that VM to the service provider.