Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
djonestp
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Derek Jones

Backup Only Calendar and Contacts?

Post by djonestp »

Hello All. Is it possible to backup only contacts and calendars from Office 365 mailboxes or must the entire mailbox be backed up? Since there doesn't seem to be a way that I can find to limit my backup in this way, I'm thinking a work around is to do an initial backup, with retention set for 1 day, apply the retention policy prior to each subsequent backup, while excluding calendars and contacts from the retention policy. I think this would backup just 1 day of mail in the mailboxes, while removing all data from the previous backup, based on the short retention policy, with the exception of contacts and calendars. If there's a way to do this, that would make remove the necessity of backing up mail that I'm not looking to keep, that would be the goal. Thanks.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Backup Only Calendar and Contacts?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Derek,

You are right that this is not possible, and I am not sure if I can think of a reason why you would only want to have the contacts/ calendar? It would be great if you could explain us what the use-case is.

For your workaround, yep, that seems to be indeed a good workaround, but I would also suggest to store that backup on an item-level repository so you only have the mails protected of 1 day, and not how the mailbox is visible that day (snapshot-based)
djonestp
Novice
Full Name: Derek Jones

Post by djonestp »

Hello Mike,

All of our e-mail is archived real-time in Global Relay. In the event users delete mail unexpectedly, users can access global relay and see and restore e-mail on an item by item basis to their mailbox. Global relay does not capture contacts and calendars. Therefore, we don't have an immediate need to backup entire mailboxes. However, we do want to have contacts and calendar items available, should they be mistakenly deleted. This may seem like a very limited use of Veeam Backup for Office365, but we are also using it for complete OneDrive and SharePoint backups, as well.

Perhaps this should be a feature request?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

We will discuss this, the problem with this is that the backups will become much longer because exclusions take up quite some time in the case of VBO. But as said, we will discuss it
MYantachka
Lurker
Full Name: Mark Yantachka

Post by MYantachka »

We have a similar environment, and would be interested in granular mailbox backups. If we could just choose Contacts/Calendar/Notes/Tasks, that would prevent us from having to store all user email in the repository (and should cut down on data transfer from the cloud.)
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Mark,

Your feature request is noted, thanks for the feedback!